Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Advantages to Spray bars?
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
J.J. Shabadoo Jr
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.07.25(Fri)21:48    Post subject: Advantages to Spray bars? Reply with quote

I have a pregnant Mollie, and a Peppermin shrimp carrying eggs, and the last time my Mollie gave birth, I found the poor wee babies dead on my prefilter on the other side of my over flow box.

Right now water that's pumped from my sump is blasted out a triangular head, with a slit at the base (I hope people will be able to follow the description), that came with my over flow. Suffice it to say it creates a circular current around my tank. I don't know if fish appreciate current like that, But I'd rather this new batch of Molly fry, and Zooplankton from the shrimp get blown around right into the over flow right into the sump, into the pump, etc. etc.

Would a spray bar make the the water flow more manageable for the animals about to be born, without losing circulation? I have have about 2."5 aragonite sand (with plenum). If I can't save the molly fry, I'll acclimate the mother to freshwater were they will be born in a safe relatively still tank. But what could I do to save the Shrimp Larvae? If I removed any kind of prefilter, woudl they sruvuve a trip through an Aquaclear 901?
J.J. Shabadoo Jr
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.07.29(Tue)23:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, well after analysing my goals a bit further, let me rephrase my topic. How can I make my 70gallon tank more friendly to plankton (zoo, phtyo, and the like), without diminishing the circulation. I can remove my prefilter, but I don't't know about the chances the little troopers would survive a ride through an aquaclear powerhead 901.
karlas
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.08.12(Tue)9:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think theres to much you can do when the shrimps eggs hatch as to saving them. You could take the filters out but yes the pwr heads will still do a number on them. Do you have any other fish in the tank? I took notice when my shrimp hatched there eggs my other fish go into a feeding frenzy so I loose most of mine there. Try removing the filters it may save some but not all.
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: