Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Standard 48" worklight for $7.45...could it work?
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY)  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bishop
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.07.24(Thu)22:00    Post subject: Standard 48" worklight for $7.45...could it work? Reply with quote

Home Depot has 48" flourescent light kits available in 5.5" widths for $7.45. Is there any reason that I couldn't mount two of these side-by-side in a DIY hood? It seems so much easier (and cheaper?) than wiring it by myself. Plus it gives me a really simple 160W on a 55G.

This would be used for a 55G saltwater tank.
Bishop
mrcloudz

PostPosted: 2003.07.25(Fri)11:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

bishop I just picked up 2 shoplight from HD 4 days ago execpt I payed $6 for mine.....I put them on a 40 long and used the philips aquarium bulbs they had there ($8 each....they also had bulbs for $2 each(do some resarch on which bulbs for you...if you get the one like me consumer_______(something) don't get the 32 watt bulbs they suggest (they just want you to save NrG).....they don't look bad on my tank (my 40 long is under my 75 on a iron stand).....however if you want to transfer the ballast and sockets to a oak hood it would be very easy....
good luck

pet land 160 watts+=$90-100
Home Depot 160watts= $45
great deal
fufanu
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.07.27(Sun)5:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just picked up a couple of shop lights from a home depot type store here called Menards. They
Irons
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.07.27(Sun)11:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am running 2 2blub strip lights on my 75gal tank. They are putting out enough light to grow PLENTY of hair algae. I'm running 2 regular t-12 blubs and 2 Hagen Aqua-Glo's. I bent the sides of the reflectors so they point down and painted with Rust-olium metalic silver paint. Then clear coated. It was a good improvement. I working on a method to suspend over the top of the tank and making a nice looking box with it to hide the ugly shop lights.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
dan
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.07.28(Mon)22:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those shop lights work great just make sure they have electronic ballasts they put out more light, less heat, and use less electricity. Also mrcloudz 32 watt bulbs are not bad, some produce more light while consuming less power Exclamation all makes of bulbs can vary greatly you really need to look at each individual bulbs specs. But for a easy to find bulb the daylight delux are great although GE's put out higher lumens than the phillips but they are a little more costly.
Dan
Wayne B.
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.03(Sun)17:39    Post subject: standard worklight Reply with quote

T have the Home depot light on my 55 gal. I used a metal tape which is very shinny to make reflectors. I just taped it all over the underside and brought it down on the sides so all the light goes down!!
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY) All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: