Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Aragonite Sand - Which types to use?
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bishop
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.07.22(Tue)18:38    Post subject: Aragonite Sand - Which types to use? Reply with quote

I checked a few of my LFS's today for aragonite sand. What I found were a variety of grain sizes available. I've read that the "sugar-sized" grains are easy on the critters, however, I've also read that larger pieces of material are good for the burrowers to build up their little....well...burrows, I guess.

I am figuring on about 2.5"-3" of sand (which I hope will amount to about 90# in a 55G), but I am unsure how to set this thing up. I am planning on putting the sand directly on the bottom of the tank without a plenum and loading up on the live rock after that. Any suggestions?

(Also, I am hearing most of the shops say that they are selling fiji live rock for about $4/lb. Is that about right?)

Thanks in advance!
Bishop
karlas
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.08.01(Fri)8:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is one suggestion I will make if you go with burrowers it would be a good idea to secure your rock before adding the sand. Some types of fish can dig so much if the rock is on top of the sand they can make it topple over or the weight can cave in there burrows falling on the fish. If you decide on burrowers do this no matter what size sand you get. Try and plan your fish if you want a lot of burrowers get the sand with small shell so they can build. If not go with the fine sugar sand.

If your getting lr for 4$ a lb GRAB IT. especially if its local. In my area its 6-9$ a lb thats for fresh lr.
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: