Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Help With a 20 Gallon
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bob_saget
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.07.20(Sun)4:19    Post subject: Help With a 20 Gallon Reply with quote

Hey everyone,

I am currently new to the saltwater scene, however I have been a fishkeeper for over 5 years now and I feel like a change. My 60 Gallon Freshwater tank is still going steady along with 2 smaller breading tanks for my Cichlids and their Fry.

My 20 Gallon tank currently holds just water hehe, but I am considering going to make it a saltwater tank whenever I get time.

Now a few Questions I need to know are:

1. What equipment may I need to start Saltwater, I already have the tank, heater, substrate, etc. But I have a freshwater filter (Whisper Power Filter). What filter would be adequate for a tank this size or could I just use the existing one?

2. How much will this cost me approximately? I.e in the hundreds

3. It is only 20 Gallons so what fish and possibly corals would be good for a tank of this size and how many?

Any help would be really appreciated. I am aware that it will be hard, but I am willing to learn about the saltwater side of fishkeeping:)

Can contact me via Email or Msn : Timmy_the_turtle_nofx@hotmail.com
karlas
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.07.20(Sun)6:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well for your first question it could take me all day to answer but I have a great beginner site for you to get a lot of your info off of.

Reef Keeping 101

http://www.reefcorner.com/reef%20keeping_101.htm

Cost totally depends on what you decide to go with. If you go with fo for a while it shouldnt be to bad but when you upgrade to corals you will spend money especially on the lighting. There is so much hi end and low end stuff that also depends on what you are able to spend.

As far as fish you will not be able to fit a lot of them in there a good rule for saltwater is 1 inch/per 5 gallons. Saltwater contains less oxygen than fresh therefore you cannot stock the same as a fresh water tank. But for a tank that size a pair of clowns would be nice, or gobies, blennies. Chances are you will not have more than 2 or 3 small fish either way you go. Good beginner corals are mushrooms, leathers, and polyps.

Check out the link I put down that has tons of great beginner info if you want let me know and I have more beginner links for other stuff sand beds, live rock and such. The one above is one of the best I've found so far.
bob_saget
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.07.20(Sun)23:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks Heaps for that site Smile

I am deciding to buy a new tank, I have a fair bit of spare money so I'm thinking of going to a 30-25 Gallon tank now.

3 fish for one tank is not enough for one tank so I will just go that little bit further. I spose the bigger the better Smile

so if I get a 30 gallon that will allow maybe 4-5 fish? and I really want a pair of clowns anyway Smile

Well thanks for the information and that site. But what other fish other than the 2 clowns would be suited to a 30-35 Gallon tank?
bob_saget
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.07.20(Sun)23:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I am going to buy a 30-35 Gallon, not a 30-25 gallon, sorry for the mistake
karlas
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.08.01(Fri)7:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you go with the 35 I would say maby 4 small fish at the most not more than that.
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: