Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
can you believe this?
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fr0$t
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.07.19(Sat)7:18    Post subject: can you believe this? Reply with quote

Very Happy My father is a freak about aquariums. He wants to get a 100g acryl Reef sw tank. He is going to www.Tenecor.com to buy a reef ready system. Say around $1300 then he is going to pay another few thousand to pay someone to set it up and maintain it for him. (He's never had a SW aquairun before) Does anyone know if this is a good choice or not?
anonapersona
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.07.19(Sat)7:30    Post subject: It's the destination, not the journey Reply with quote

For some people, it is the journey, not the destination, in that getting there; planning everything, learning about it and experiencing the joys and failures. for them, the "having a pretty tank" is much sweeter when they know all about it.

For others, ii is simply the destination, the having. not the getting, that is best. Those people are too busy (typically making money) to learn the ins and outs of the thing, and since they are so successful at making money, it only makes sense to pay an expert to have it done right, the first time, and maintained correctly. They may or may not learn along the way.

Simply one of life's choices. Going with the pro will probably kill less fish.
SoS
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.07.19(Sat)9:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well tank wise he selected probably the best tank maker on earth and with proper education the 100 gallon will have a little more room for error than samll er tanks. So yes he's made some good choices so far. Whats he doing for lighting?
Fr0$t
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.07.19(Sat)9:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

uum I don't know yet it is a Reef Ready system so it comes with the Berlin Hybrid wet Dry system and lighting. The store that is going to maintain his tank, he will buy some from them.
fishdude
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.07.19(Sat)23:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well put, anonapersona. There's really no better way to say it.

Personally I am of the opinion that if you're going to have a reef in your home you dang skippy better know how to take care of it. Check with the maintenance guys for their availability. I'd imagine some of them are on call 24-7, but probably not many, and anybody with experience can tell you that the worst problems happen after hours.

Businesses and Dr.'s offices are a different story. In that situation obviously the employees or doctors or whatever can't take care of the tank, so a maintenance service would be required. If somthing happens after hours at a buiseness, well, the maintenance guys have their work cut out for them the next day.

Anyway, tank maintenance services are a valuable resource and if you have the money to pay for them it's not a sin or anything, but at least a basic understanding of what's going in your tank is a good idea if it's going to be in your house.

fishdude
karlas
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.07.20(Sun)6:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say even if its being taken care of by someone else I still would want to know someting about it. Its an experience in it self to plan and develope a tank on your own thats part of the draw to this hobby. Also theres so much that can be done and to have someone do it for you I would say you miss out on a lot. Also you may be looking at a tank with no idea whats going on. With saltwater theres a lot going on.
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: