Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
questions about making styrofoam caves
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY)  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spunky

PostPosted: 2003.02.19(Wed)12:18    Post subject: questions about making styrofoam caves Reply with quote

Has anyone made caves out of styrofoam before? I want to devote my 30 g to my 5 yoyo loaches by making caves for them. My dream is to eventually make a custom 80 g tank and buy 3 more loaches, but for now, it will have to work in my 30 gal. I read about how one guy made a rock for his tank, so I understand the process, but not completely what to do with the architecture.

I want the cave to take up a good portion of the tank, keeping in mind years from now there will be five 4
SolidBrass

PostPosted: 2003.02.19(Wed)13:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, Spunky,

I have not made styrofoam caves before since I use rocks, clay pots, or PVC pipe. However, if you weight it down, styrofoam should work as well. Here is a link to a Styrofoam Background Project that may be of benefit. It at least shows what may work from a toxicity standpoint.
Spunky
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.02.19(Wed)16:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link! That is a really cool styrofoam rock background... it give me so many ideas for what I could do with my other tank and some good tips when thinking of my cave.

There is another artical on that site that also gave some good ideas... thanks again for the link, it has help me think about things I did not think to think about Razz

Spunky
SolidBrass

PostPosted: 2003.02.21(Fri)8:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Welcome, Anytime.
sharksgalore
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.02.21(Fri)12:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a link I found while surfing the web.

http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/art_other_netmax_styro.htm
SolidBrass

PostPosted: 2003.02.21(Fri)13:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Shark ! That was the link I was looking for in the first place!
sharksgalore
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.02.22(Sat)23:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

anytime man, post pics of the finished product so we can all enjoy!! Smile
My Caves

PostPosted: 2003.03.07(Fri)21:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have already started shaping my caves and was wonder ing what you coat the styrofoam in and were can I Get It

how would you recomend ancoring the caves two the bottom of the tank with out glueing it
sharksgalore
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.03.08(Sat)19:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

use the link I gave you, he shows you how to anchor it to a platic grid, if you don't want a grid that takes up the whole tank just cut down the grid to a few inches wider and deeper than the caves, that way the gravel anchors it down. Smile Cool just a thought
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY) All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: