Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Convert power filter to canister
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY)  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jay NYC
Members

PostPosted: 2003.07.12(Sat)2:05    Post subject: Convert power filter to canister Reply with quote

I have an old "Whisper 2" HOB power filter. It's pretty powerful but I keep it at it's lowest setting to cut down on the surface agitation. I've been thinking of different ways to take the pump/impeller unit off and construct a mini-canister filter. I guess I would have 2 tubes siliconed into a jar through the lid. The impeller on the bottom....Magnum style I guess. It would have to be a plastic jar. Do you think a regular jar lid would hold water or would it burst eventually. Has anyone ever done this or heard of anything like it?
Irons
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.07.12(Sat)7:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over fear and breakage stress I would go with plastic. What would happen if a small piece of gravel got whipped around in there. There are probably a number of things you could use. Including large PVC for the chamber. The problem that I see is sealing, mainly @ the bottom. The second is output tube. If you can get over those design issues it should be fairly easy. I have thought about it myself, but never got further than mulling it over a bit.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
anonapersona
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.07.12(Sat)11:31    Post subject: Just a caution Reply with quote

Is this Whisper currently in use as your only filter?

If it is a back up filter, or one that you don't really need it might be worth a try, but I'm thinking that this has a high chance of failure. I wouldn't risk a filter that I was currently relying on.

How about using a small submersible pump to take water to an externally mounted filter? I have a Rio90 powering my CO2 reactor and the sponge in it is obviously acting like a biofilter. It is internally mounted, rather small, but maybe a bigger unit could power an external canister.
dartmatrix
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.07.13(Sun)14:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you really want a professional job done here I would visit one off your local labs at a hospital or somewhere like that , the reason being is that they have really fancy bottels that are really strong and some may even come with holes drilled in where taps usually fit , all in all with a little mod here and there you could have your self a very efficient and most off all cheap canister.
** I have tryed this in the passed , and should say that these type off things need to be sealed and then resealed!!
***if you do find yourself at a lab with some 1 willing to play ball
first tell them what its for.
ask them if they have any "spare", broken, anything that you could buy if not ask them the cost of 1 and if they would be willing to order 1 for you
****the only reason I've stopped using the 1 I've setup was I did eventually manage to buy the dream eheim.
***** don't forget to ask what was in the bottle!!!!!!! Shocked
Jay NYC
Members

PostPosted: 2003.07.16(Wed)7:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really want to try this. I was looking at how my friend's magnum is set up...I think I can do it. I just need to find big plastic jar that I feel confident with. The pump is removable on the filter so I don't have to break it to try this out. I can put the AC mini from my snail tank as a temporary replacement during the set-up and trial. If/when I actually try it....I'll post pics if it works.
Alex
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.07.16(Wed)9:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure that the input side is hooked to the container so that is is sucking the water through the container rather than pushing, then you don't have to worry about over pressuring it or detritus getting in the pump. Here is another DIY canister project you might want to look at(not mine).
http://www.aquaticsbykr.com/DIYCanisterFilter.htm

Alex
mrcloudz

PostPosted: 2003.07.25(Fri)11:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry I can't help with your question jay but I'm in bk too what fish stores do you go to? btw did you look into diy sand bed filters that will give you some great ideas
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY) All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: