Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Those Upconverting Light fixtures at Wal-Mart
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY)  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RySites
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.07.11(Fri)16:00    Post subject: Those Upconverting Light fixtures at Wal-Mart Reply with quote

Took a trip through the Wal-Mart light aisle and noticed those upconverting lights. The ones that say get 85 watts of light out of 15 watts of power. Are these useful for a planted tank? By buying two would I get 170 watts of light or just 30 (a big difference!)? What about other considerations such as heat, lumens and color spectrum?

If they are unsuitable I'm gonna be very disappointed. These are the highest wattage lights I can find anywhere. I want to build my light hood myself but don't want to pay much more than $50 (that's lights and hood). Any alternatives?
Steve Hampton
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.07.11(Fri)16:24    Post subject: Re: Those Upconverting Light fixtures at Wal-Mart Reply with quote

RySites wrote:
By buying two would I get 170 watts of light or just 30 (a big difference!)?

It would only give you 30W. The 170W would be the equivalent of incandescent lighting, which is almost useless as plant growth lighting. Anyway, those lights would provide 30W of lighting.

Quote:
If they are unsuitable I'm gonna be very disappointed. These are the highest wattage lights I can find anywhere. I want to build my light hood myself but don't want to pay much more than $50 (that's lights and hood). Any alternatives?

In order to give you specific recommendation we need to know the size you your tank, length and gallons.
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.07.11(Fri)18:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off... Sad so disappointed

Second off... Smile Thanks for the advice. Glad I asked before I bought.

My tanks is a 29G...30W*18H*12D. Right now it only has low to mid light plants.
Marcos Avila
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.07.11(Fri)21:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's important to understand that the Watts rating of a bulb is telling you how much energy it consumes in order to generate its light output, and not the actual amount of light it produces. What those household fluorescent bulbs are telling you is that you'll be saving energy by replacing the common bulbs with the other ones, not gaining light...the comparison is based on the assumption that the amount of light produced by both is the same and that's the main thing that matters to your plants. They couldn't care less about how much you're spending every month in energy Wink
Irons
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.07.12(Sat)8:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have or make a hood that holds 2 regular screw in incandesant lights you can throw two 15-25w (depends on what the fixture is rated for) florescent blubs for ~1-1.5 flor. watts per gallon. That will give you enough light for a few plants.

Another option is to build a hood out of 2 or 4 bulb strip lights that fit over your tank. I am building an open top light fixture for my 75, (when I have time to pick up a saw). Using two 4' strip lights. It's giving ~2wpg.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY) All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: