Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Gonna Start A 20G! Help!
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jorel
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.07.11(Fri)3:00    Post subject: Gonna Start A 20G! Help! Reply with quote

Man I've been reading the forums for a couple of hours now, I even got two browsers opened up on this site! Great info here for sure! But I still have a few questions:

My first question is about aragonite, how much do I need? In freshwater I know you need around 2 inches but I don't know about saltwater. Is 10kg enough or should I get 20kg?

Second question is about filters. I'm kinda confused here. Do I even need one? I have 2 AquaClear Mini's and I'm not sure if they are of any use in a saltwater tank. I'll get live rock so is this what is used as a filter? And if so how much do I need? And do I need to add it from the get go?

I've also read I need powerheads, but I've been thinkin', can I just use my Mini's for this? That'd be great if I could!

In the tank I'd like to keep a couple of False Perculas. Although I don't know whats so false about them, they looked pretty normal at the store. And another fish, which I don't know yet. Any help is appreciated, thanks!
SLACkra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.07.11(Fri)10:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. if your setting up a 20g my first question is are you going for a fish only? a fish only with live rock or a reef? With the basic idea you will need about 2 inches of substrate. Live sand is best. On top of that you will need live rock which if your just starting to think about setting up the tank you can get uncured live rock. uncured live rock mean it has all the funky stuff that it had in the ocean still on it. cured live rock is when they let most of the organisms die on it. uncured live rock has a big die off causeing tons of ammonia which is a good thing when you are at the begining of the cycle. first of all a pair of fale percs will be fine in a 20g. and for filtration you might if you have the cash want to buy a skimmer. I recomend the prizm skimmmer it cost about $130 canadian and works quite well. lighting for a fish only would be fine with just one 20watt no flouresent or 2x15watt flouresents. if its a reef it would be best to have 2x55watt power compact bulbs running on your tank. well I hope I gave you some insight to the world of saltwater. Also if you have live sand and live rock that will provide all the filtration you will need. all you would need other than that would be power head which are basicaly pumps that get submerged in the water and move the water around. well good luck
2 winged demons
Jorel
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.07.11(Fri)14:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey thanks! And you a fellow Vancouver person too Smile I'm just gonna go with a FOWLR, a reef seems a little too complicated for a beginner. And since we both live in Vancouver want to give me a good place to buy some LR? Very Happy

EDIT: Oh forgot to add I probably won't add a skimmer right now.
SLACkra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.07.12(Sat)2:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

well your in luck. if you want some crushed coral subrsate or some live rock ask me! I am moving to australia in august so I am unsettin up my saltwater. it was a 32g. went from a fo to a fowlr and I have a couple of mushroom corals. I would happily sell you some of the crushed coral. its infested with benificail bristle worms. they eat the left over food quickly and they have never caused any problems in my tank. but for your everyday saltwater needs go to www.jlaquatics.com they're located in coquitlem and suply everything from 130g tanks to baby giant clams to emeral crabs. plus they are well prized and they sell salt in "BULK" size. not just a big plastic sack of it a huge bucked of it. they also previde a large amount of saltwater fish ranging from snowflake moray eels to captive raised false percs. well good luck agian. and don't worry the crushed coral will be cheap just like 5-10$ for all of it. pm me if your interested.
2 winged demons
karlas
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.07.12(Sat)7:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

heres some good beginner sites you can check out

http://www.reefcorner.com/reef%20keeping_101.htm

http://sps.reefkeepers.org/LiveRockFAQ.htm

http://www.reefkeepers.org/faq/cache/33.html
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: