Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Pond basics please
 Forum Index > Goldfish, K  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Arawanasrcool
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.07.11(Fri)2:05    Post subject: Pond basics please Reply with quote

I have the perfect setup for a pond I just want to know if you need to put any kind of gravel in to cycle it. Doesti even need to be cycled? It'll be on top of a small hill on the side of my property. I live in New Jersey where it is usually cold, but it has been hot during this summer, which is suprising. I was just going to add Koi, or Carp. Are they two different fish because I saw the label on this site saying Carp (Koi). That confused me. Also It said Carp lay up to like 1000 eggs. Do all of them hatch because that would be a problem because my pond won't be that big unless I decide to make the already existing ditch larger...... which shouldn't be too difficult. Also I only see baby koi at my lfs, where would I find Carp, bass, etc. Would channet cats do good too? I have one in my aquarium. Any suggestions would be great. Cool

Oh yeah isn't Vincent the coolest?
Matt Shandorf
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.07.20(Sun)18:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright.

How big will your pond be? Koi (which are carp, just bred to look pretty) can reach 2 or 3 feet, and will grow rather quickly. Your pond should be AT LEAST 1200 gallons if you plan to keep them for very long (that's about 10ft. long by 8ft. wide by 2 ft. deep). The channel cat will reach 3 or 4 ft., I think, and that will again push the size of the pond larger. Also, don't plan on making the pond larger when the time comes, because it's a total pain in the @$$. Koi and goldfish usually eat most of their eggs, but all the same you might end up with at least 1 or 2 that survive each summer - more if you have plants they can hide in. I would stick to koi and goldfish on your pond.
Ponds need to cycle, just like aquariums. Putting gravel in it will just make it look gross when algae and waste cover it, so it's best to let the bacteria develop in a bio-filter.
 Forum Index > Goldfish, K All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: