Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Talapia Snyderi and Apistogramma Pandurini
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cyradia
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.07.10(Thu)19:00    Post subject: Talapia Snyderi and Apistogramma Pandurini Reply with quote

Talapia Snyderi and Apistogramma Pandurini

I'm guessing that first one might be Tilapia, but Talapia was how I saw it written. I'm looking for any information, or better yet, personal experiences about either of these fish. And, yes, I can type them into google...but that didn't yield much, so if anybody has additional sources lay them on me.
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2003.07.10(Thu)21:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

No personal experience with either of these, but the spelling on the first one's Tilapia snyderae, and the second one's valid scientific name is now Apistogramma panduro. Hopefully that helps you expand your search a little.
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2003.07.11(Fri)0:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've also seen it spelled as Tulapia.....we have a ton of these guys at the zoo. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Zeco
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2003.07.11(Fri)4:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are many threads on A. panduro at Apistolist, unfortunately the search engine isn't working (at least for me Sad ). Anyway, I listed some of the 2002-2003 threads on this fish below:
Apisto ID
Apistogramma pandurini
A. panduro baby aggression
apisto pandurini
nijsseni and panduro again
Lyretail Panduro
Keeping A. panduro with A. agassizii?
A. Panduro eggs!
(the follow-ups appear in the bottom of each page)

Jos
Cyradia
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.07.11(Fri)13:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for your help! Remember that link that Mario posted in the ads section about the huge piece of driftwood for $15? Well, yeah, that click to aquabid led me to bid on this offer:

Quote:
This auction is dedicated to my friend Mike Danials who is laid up right now but is one of the best hobbyists and friends I have ever met! Here is the deal! If you are not sober or you have been smokin dope do not attempt to bid right now! You are bidding on 2 groups of fish! 6 talapia snyderi I got from my good friend kribs ( after sending him a fine trio he killed off very quickly) I am also sending 2 prs of apistogramma pandurini! If you are the first to breed and send me 6 fry of the snyderi I will send your money back! If you breed BOTH FIRST AND SEND ME SOME FRY YOU GET DOUBLE YOUR MONEY BACK! Lets see who can breed some fish! Also Kribs is the first guy to ever breed them in the US so you may be the seacond! Do not e mail me with a bunch of queastions just bid and breed these fish! I am running 4 auctions go the top 4 guys with balls will be going head to head in this contest DO not bid on one if you are winning another I need 4 winners! Happy holidays and goog luck! Oh shipping is free and all that stuff!

Guess who bid and won? I'm holding you completly responsible, Mario. Twisted Evil
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.08.16(Sat)6:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

New Fish for Me!

After a bunch of shipping complications, and right before I decided to give up on them every showing up...they arrived!

I only got 5 Tilapia snyderae, but I still suspect this will be plenty to breed these guys. They're very social acting already and ate a few hours after being out of the box. I like these guys a lot more than I thought I would. The move more than any cichlid I've ever kept, but I don't know if that's stress, being in a tank smaller than they'd like, or how they normally act. The best place on the web I've found to show you what they look like is:

http://www.blackwaterfish.com/snyder.htm

Why are they in a tank too small for them? Well, I'm glad you asked. Because the 20 gallon I had set-up for them is being used for the bonus fish in the box! I was supposed to get 4 (2 males and 2 females) Apistogramma panduro, but what I got was two bags...each with a set of 6 apistos. I'm not really sure either of the bags contains panduros. Each set is in its own 20 gallon tank, where hopefully I can sex them and figure out what the hell is going on (and thin the population to a pair or a trio.) One of the groups is still in complete hiding and I can't look at them closely enough to even describe them, much less ID them. The other group, I've been staring at all morning and I think they're this fish:

http://www.thekrib.com/Apisto/A-piauiensis.html

EDIT: Now I'm thinking Cruzis...bah, I'm going cross-eyed over these fish.

I'm going to be a water changing fool trying to keep all of these fish happy while I ID them and decide the new set-ups (hopefully without buying more fish tanks Razz .) 17 new fish though - what fun! Dwarf cichlid world...here I come.
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.08.18(Mon)8:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you post pics? I may be able to tell.
If your fish have no line above the eye then its cruzi...
As for the unidentified... even body shape with no colours can often give you an idea...

Anyhow, waiting for those Tilapia snyderae to breed... Smile waiting in line for some!
Discus Man is gone... I remain... #6... I am not a number I am a free man!
Cyradia
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.08.18(Mon)9:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

The shipper actually called me Saturday morning to talk with me about them. He says the ones I was trying to ID are apisto moae. Now, if you do a search on that name you basically come up with a long list of discussions of people saying I have this fish labeled apisto moae and then some expert saying, You're wrong...moae are very, very rare...what you have is just XYZ. So, I'm not sure. They're taming up amazingly fast considering they're in a tank that's in a heavily trafficed room and it's on the floor. They do look just like:

http://www.aquajapan.com/encyc/cichlid/cichlidae/apistogramma/moae_e.html

and

http://iopets.com/en/FishD-4016.htm (but not as close a looking match than the first)

And, if you're over there thinking...geeze woman, this looks nothing like the first two species you listed...I'm sorry! I'm really not good at identifying these guys and the web can be so misleading. Hopefully I have a decent book on the way.

The other species of apisto that are supposed to be panduro...the shipper was pretty sure he did, indeed, ship panduro. I'm having a really hard time getting even a glance at these guys. I even added dithers this weekend and they're still impossible to catch a glimpse of. I actually think they're more aggressive than the moae and I have yet to see any blue or any yellow on them, so I'm not convinced. They're in a very heavily planted 20 gallon long in the basement...so I don't spend as much time around that tank. What I have seen are very dark fish with red highlights.

The tilapia are really neat...great contrast of personality to the apistos. These aren't wild fish, so they came to me much more in tact and ready to rumble. They probably need a bigger tank though, if nothing else than to seperate out the non-paired fish. I'll let you know as soon as I breed them.

Finally...do you have any suggestions on what to use to de-funkify the wild apistos. I'm afraid to mix them with any other tanks because of parasites, and they have that red vein look at the base of their tail which I vaguely remember could be caused by a parasite or a bacterial infection or something.

I'll get you pictures soon. Every day I say, 'OK...when it gets dark I'll take some pictures' and then I get distracted and when I remember it's too close to bedtime.
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.08.18(Mon)11:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

The second pic is the adult form, the first is the stressed juvie look.
Unfortunately the juvie in the mac apisto family look very similar. Both you and the shper are using major markings to id. You need to switch and use only minor markings.
Look for minor differences like the eye stripe, tail, number of dorsal rays (almost impossible)
Even then you end up with one or two possibilites until adulthood.
I had the same thing with my inirdae. I had to wait for the tail to develop as the inirdae has an elongated oval tail, the uapesi has a top and bottom extension. other than that they are exactly the same.

Now Pandurini are easy to id. I would say you were shipped a bag of wild t bar dwarfs, pandurini and the tilipae.

As for quarentine and wide spectrum cleaning, dose with epsom salt, deworm, otherwise leave them alone.
All cardinal tetras are wild caught from the same regions, so these nasties are in most of our tanks already.
My two cents Smile
Discus Man is gone... I remain... #6... I am not a number I am a free man!
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: