Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
pond 'n fish
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 Forum Index > Goldfish, K  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tropical laura
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.07.21(Mon)1:58    Post subject: Thanks! Reply with quote

Thank you so much for the help!
Ill do a water test Very Happy

Hi Adam! I live in Leicester, Birmingham is quit close to Leicester and I come to Birmingham quit often, nice place! Very Happy

The newts are mixed, common newts and a small amount of great crested, I make sure they are safe. The adult newts are out of water at the momment but the baby ones are in. All my newts are wild.

I'm planning on getting some more newts in the future in an aquarium, these will be fire bellied newts (or was it red bellied- I get mixed up with the names) newts are so sweet Razz do you like newts then?

Laura
Adam
Members

PostPosted: 2003.07.21(Mon)11:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't really say I like or dislike Newts since I know very little about them.

I was just curious if you put them in tehre yourself or they are wild newts.

Also, I'm pretty sure the ones you are on about are 'fire bellied' newts. But I'm not 100% sure about that.

Good Luck with everything!
nonamethefish
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.07.29(Tue)9:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firebellies live in Japan and the surrounding region, so yours are probably not those.

Since you have newts in your pond, I'd just leave it as is. Adding the fish could introduce competition for the newts, as newt habitat is becoming harder and harder to come by nowadays.

I'm not to sure what kinds of newts live in Europe, but I do know that their are probably many websites on them.

Look up "crested newts" or perhaps palmate newts and you should be led to some websites that may list more species.
jbmac
Members

PostPosted: 2003.07.29(Tue)16:47    Post subject: newts Reply with quote

There are 3 species of newts native to england. They are the great crested newt(triturus cristatus), the palmate newt(triturus helveticus) and the smooth or common newt(triturus vulgaris).
The great crested newt is an endangered species. The great crested newt is the largest, growing to a length of 6 inches. The palmate newt is the smallest. The great crested newt has the darkest coloured back and has a granular skin and a bright red or orange underbody which is often spotted with black. The male will have a large crest running down the back and tail at this time of year. However, the smooth newt also has a crest down the back and tail, but the size of the newt is much smaller and so they shouldn't be hard to identify. Although the palmate newt and the smooth newt are difficult to identify from one another, especially the females of the species. There are some introduced species in england though. I think at least a couple of these are the alpine newt(triturus alpestris) and the marbled newt(triturus marmoratus). There could be more though.
tropical laura
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.07.30(Wed)3:28    Post subject: pond Reply with quote

OK, Ill leave the pond alone and build a new pond. Thanks for the useful info

Laura
soapmyster
Members

PostPosted: 2004.11.27(Sat)11:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can have baby goldfish in your pond but you will need to bring them in for the winter unless your pond is 4 to 5 feet deep witch the ground freezes 3 to 4 feet down.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
@-McP
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.12.01(Wed)8:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

soapmyster: what happens when the baby goldfish grows up

tropical laura: your new idea sounds like the best option. it would be a shame to introduce fish into your ecosystem and have it upset the whole thing.
soapmyster
Members

PostPosted: 2004.12.01(Wed)21:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't dig a new pond you can bring the in or trade the in at you lfs. Five feet deep pond will be 1 ft under the freez line for winter. The bigger fish can be traded in if you wanted or keep them outside but rember some birds will eat small fish, local wild life and some neiborhood cats may eat some of the fish.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
 Forum Index > Goldfish, K All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Jump to: