Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
White cloud mountain minnows(tanichthys albonubes)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Forum Index > Goldfish, K  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jbmac
Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.24(Sun)16:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always keep a watchful eye on them, to make sure they are alright. But its very hard to count them all to see if they are all there, because they move about a lot, and they swim in a shoal which makes it hard to count them, because they dart about all over the place never keeping still. There is also a lot of weed and stuff where they often hide.
Tommy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.08.24(Sun)20:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

tropical laura wrote:
If I was you and owned that pond, I would be very confident that the wcmm would survive the winter. I am SURE they will be fine!

Laura, may I ask what exactly you are basing your opinions on? The reason I'm asking is that fishbase.org lists that this fish comes from a habitat of "tropical; 18 - 22
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
jbmac
Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.25(Mon)3:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think there is any need to have a pond heater, because if I was just getting it for the white clouds then I might as well just bring them indoors in the winter because its cheaper that way. I have many other pond fish too, such as carp, tench, goldfish, common minnows, orfes, stone loaches, gudgeon, roach, etc. So if I got a pond heater for the winter then it would disrupt their yearly cycle, as they would not have a cold period.
tropical laura
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.25(Mon)6:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surprised Well, my aunt had tiny goldfish that were two inches long and they survived the English winter and I did reserch on ponds in winter and the temperature at the bottom of a 4 foot deep pond would be around 4-5 celceus while the top is 0 celcius.

I am sure they would be fine in the winter, the ones I am getting next summer when my pond is done will be out in the winter.
jbmac
Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.25(Mon)7:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goldfish and wcmm are totally different fish. Some fish can't adapt to the cold weather in winter, wcmm's might be one of these fish, whereas goldfish I know for certain can survive the coldest of temps.
Huntress
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.08.25(Mon)8:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

jbmac, WCMM are cold water fish on par with goldies. Same temp requirements are good for both.
SherryNE
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.08.25(Mon)8:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, but Huntress, I am not at all sure that wcmm can survive near freezing temps like goldfish do. Do you know if they can?
I know that goldfish slow down thier metabolism to live: but what about the wcmm?
jbmac
Members

PostPosted: 2003.10.11(Sat)2:48    Post subject: well winter is almost here Reply with quote

The pond temp has been at 12 degrees Celcius for a few days and I have seen a couple of WCMM that seem fine. However they are much less active now, as to be expected, therefore they are spending more and more time under cover in the weed where I cannot see and monitor them.
So I have no idea how many white clouds there are, it was almost impossible to count them in the summer when I saw them more often, let alone in the winter. I had an idea that I would monitor them through the winter, and if they became ill or died I would bring them in if I could catch them, but because I can't see them I think I am just going to have to wait till the spring to see if they are OK or not.
tropical laura
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.10.11(Sat)9:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am still POSITIVE they will be fine. they will do what all the other fish do and go to the deepest, warmest place in the pond over winter.

I'm getting my pond next summer Very Happy and I will have white clouds in it and they will be in there in winter too.

Laura
jbmac
Members

PostPosted: 2003.10.11(Sat)13:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

But I doubt the white clouds will go into the deepest part of the pond when all the big fish are there, such as the orfe and carp and tench etc. because these pose a threat to the white clouds. There is also very little cover in the deepest area of the pond, so this too would decrease there sense of security.
 Forum Index > Goldfish, K All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Jump to: