Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
White cloud mountain minnows(tanichthys albonubes)
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Forum Index > Goldfish, K  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jbmac
Members

PostPosted: 2003.07.08(Tue)10:19    Post subject: White cloud mountain minnows(tanichthys albonubes) Reply with quote

I have had my white clouds for over a month now, I keep them in my 1500 gallon outdoor pond. They usually swim around a lot in a little shoal, but for about a week, they have not been so active, instead they just hide under an area of weed around the edge. Does this mean there is something wrong with them? When I do see the odd one or two they do not look to have something physically wrong with them. Do any of you lot have an explanation for their unusual behaviour?
Thanks in advance.
Steve Hampton
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.07.08(Tue)10:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

How deep is your pond? Do you have shade? White clouds are cool water preferring fish. In deep ponds they should be able to seek the cooler temperature water they prefer, though they also prefer top level swimming. It could also be related to low oxygen levels in your pond. Do you have a fountain, waterfall, or other means of water movement and circulation? If not, adding a cheap pump and fountain would help greatly.
Members

PostPosted: 2003.07.09(Wed)1:18    Post subject: White clouds Reply with quote

The water is well oxygenated, because I have a stream with water falls in it leading to the pond. The water is very clear. The pond is 4 feet at the deepest, but I would not expect them to go into the deeper water as there are larger fish. However there is an area of about 1 to 2 feet deep around the edge where they spend most of their time. Around the edge there is also plenty of weed which provides shade. I live in the UK and the water temp hasn't been much below 20 degrees celcius for the past few weeks.
jbmac
Members

PostPosted: 2003.07.09(Wed)1:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mean the temp has ranged from about 18 to 28 for the past few weeks.
Steve Hampton
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.07.09(Wed)10:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

jbmac wrote:
I mean the temp has ranged from about 18 to 28 for the past few weeks.

This most likely the problem. WCMM's upper temperature limit is about 22C. Usually they would seek out the ponds cooler water, but if predation exists there they would avoid that too. You could help by increasing the shade over the pond by adding potted large leaf plants that overhang the pond. Adding a few dwarf lillys to the shallow end could help add more shade to the water surface. But, no matter what you do you are probably not going to see the some level of activity during the warmer water summer season. I live in a semi-tropical climate and during the summer heat the pond activity level drops dramatically. Check the pond in the morning at first light and see if they appear more active, the shallows should lose a few degrees over night and the WCMM's may be more active at this time, returning to the shade and reduced activity after the sun once again heats the water in the shallow end.
Members

PostPosted: 2003.07.09(Wed)11:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

today is the first time I have seen some white clouds swimming around a lot in a couple of weeks. However the water temp is about 28 degrees celcius. I have heard that white clouds can also live in tropical conditions, is this completely true? By the way, what do you think is the minimum temp for white clouds, is it possible to winter them outdoors in UK?
And also, what temp do you think they will breed at in the pond?
jbmac
Members

PostPosted: 2003.07.21(Mon)14:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard that WCMM's are very easy to breed. Will a shoal of 9 WCMM's breed in the conditions described?
tropical laura
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.07.22(Tue)2:47    Post subject: yep Reply with quote

Hi, Yes they should breed Cool

Laura
jbmac
Members

PostPosted: 2003.07.22(Tue)10:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi laura
Thanks for the reply.
Do you know any answers for my prevous questions too?
tropical laura
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.07.23(Wed)11:00    Post subject: white clouds Reply with quote

Hiya Jbmac,

WCMM are fine in warmer waters! I know people have them in their community aquariums which reach temperatures of 30, the WCMM never seem to mind, they are great fish!

Most fish breed fine at this time of the year(the warmer weather)

Your fish are fine, In the summer here in the Uk, they are very happy and in the winter they go to the bottom of the pond to keep warm( its a bit warmer at the bottom as you know, I'm sure Smile )

do you have any other questions?
 Forum Index > Goldfish, K All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Jump to: