Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Price for sw tank (s)
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TetraKeeper808
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.07.06(Sun)15:10    Post subject: Price for sw tank (s) Reply with quote

well I have another tank on standby to be set up and I was thinking of a 20 or 30 gallon sw tank. this would be my first tank for sw but I hope I would not be my last. the tank would be a fish and live rock, no coral. what do you guys think for price for a 20, which would most likely be the size, cannot go bigger, space any help would be great thanks. Very Happy
SoS
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.07.06(Sun)16:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd spend the extra few bucks and get the 29 or 30 gallon. Bigger especially in saltwater is better. Plus being a beginner you'll be able to survive a problem easier.

the tank, hood(lights), and stand 200.00
and then add this

Protien Skimmer / 70.00 (Seaclone or Prizm)
Aquaclear 500 / 29.99 (Best Bang for the buck EVER!)
Heater / 15.00
Test Kit(basic salt) / 25.00
Salt (50lbs bucket) / 50.00 (instant ocean)
2 small powerheads / 35.00
20 pounds of agronite sand / 10.00
30 pounds of live rock / 133.00(ship inc.) www.gulf-view.com
MagFloat(glass scraper) / 10.00 A must have
Salinity tester / 10.00 (aquarium systems)

TOTAL / 588.00

These are all online prices www.petsolutions.com www.thatfishplace.com http://www.drsfostersmith.com/

I've ordered from all three and I highly recommend them.

I know I'm forgetting a few odds and ends. That's my recommendation parts wise.

I also recommend you get some type of reverse osmosis water source. Either buy a filter or find a LFS that sells it.
chriscrob
Members

PostPosted: 2003.07.10(Thu)21:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know much about Massachussets but if you are near boston try this link
http://boston.craigslist.org/cgi-bin/search?areaID=4&subAreaID=0&type_search=1&query=Fish+Tank&group=S

One guy is selling a complete 30g setup for $180 dollars.
J.J. Shabadoo Jr
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.07.10(Thu)22:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

I won't pull this off topic, but

[/quote]Protien Skimmer / 70.00 (Seaclone or Prizm)
Quote:

I, and I'm sure a lot of other members, would REALLY recommend avoiding the seaclones. They're just not worth it. I use a prizm.
SoS
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.07.11(Fri)13:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

J.J. Shabadoo Jr wrote:
I won't pull this off topic, but

Protien Skimmer / 70.00 (Seaclone or Prizm)
Quote:

I, and I'm sure a lot of other members, would REALLY recommend avoiding the seaclones. They're just not worth it. I use a prizm.
[/quote]

I have a prizm Deluxe and I think its a piece of junk so. I included the Seaclone as an alternative. I have heard people who love there prizm's and seaclones and others who hate them. Unfortunately small protien skimmers are still a work in process. In ten years they'll finally get the kinks out.
karlas
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.07.12(Sat)7:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

The price your going to spend depends on what you are going to go with. FO, FOWLR, or a small reef with a 20 or 30 gall. I see you want to go with a fowlr with this you can actually go with the standard lighting that comes with the tank. You will not have to upgrade unless you decide to go with corals later. Live rock needs no special lighting actually the main thing it will affect may be the color of the coraline which is no big deal. Lower light corraline can be greens, blues, yellows.

Live rock you want at least 1 - 1 1/2 lbs per gallon. Depending on where you get it, it can cost between 6-10 dollars per pound. You can search the internet and several places have sells on it for cheaper but by the time you add the shipping you are in this price range anyway. For what you want this will probably be the most expensive part.

You are not going to have a big bioload maby 2-3 small fish or 1 decent size fish suitable for the size tank you are buying. As far as a skimmer its not needed right away. It does help against errors but with a small tank with regular water changes is not a must. But it does help. I ran a 39 gall for a long time without one but I kept up on the water changes. You can decide later if its the road you want to go or not.

You wil need a heater, a hob filter would work, marine test kit (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH, alkalinity), salt, 1-2 pwr heads, sand. Most of what it would cost depends on what you want to go with there is so much of a price range in things its hard to tell. Do you know of a price range you want to spend? if so maby we can reccomend some brands to you. There is low end and hi end of every thing you can get and such a variety.
chriscrob
Members

PostPosted: 2003.07.12(Sat)18:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you got a 30, you could go with one of the small lionfish. It would have to live alone but you aren't going to have too many fish in a SW 30 anyway. That would make an interesting tank. Hmm, maybe I should think about a stock change in my 29g...
TetraKeeper808
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.07.15(Tue)17:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for all the replys sadly tho I found out that a 30 or 20 or 29g just is not going to work, parents have changed their mind, stinks. Crying or Very sad well my only other option is to take one of the 2 10 gallon tanks that I have and make a nano reef, which I think I kinda cruel and I know a nano reef is well debated as to if it is a good idea. well I guess for now I must stick to fw thanks a lot, Very Happy
karlas
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.07.15(Tue)22:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its to bad about not getting the 20-30 gall but do your research and we could help you with a 10 gall. You would be only with 1 small fish but you can add enough inverts to make it interesting. Even if you don't go with corals you can still get enough inhabitants to make an interesting tank.
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: