Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
10g Sea horse setup...
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
number6
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.03.03(Mon)13:15    Post subject: 10g Sea horse setup... Reply with quote

Pandora, I have never had a huge interest in S.W. until I saw your sites pics of the 10g sea horse setup.
Could a newbie attempt such a tank? To correct for learning errors my concept is as follows: 10g tank with overflow into a 20g tall (same foot print as 10g. ) Sump pumps it back up into the 10g slow flow for the Sea horse(s). That would end up with 30g of water to ease with the nitrate issue. My reasons for such an odd setup are simple. A S.W. tank costs a lot to run and time to clean sides etc. where as the 10g with a low biolad (30g of water as well) is less room to get tempted to add to it, less sides to scrape, smaller light wattage and equipment, not much room taken up as the 10g with a 20g under the table = no more space gone than a 10g on a stand. A Fluval 104 could provide filtration in the tank below plus have a protein skimmer on it... sound possible? If I am dreaming with a Seahorse can you think of a truly graceful replacemnt? You'll notice a pattern there- Discus, certain Apistogramma, Sea horses... I am a sucker for graceful swimmers! Slow, gentle aquatic acrobats seem to have an ability to mesmerize...
Discus Man is gone... I remain... #6... I am not a number I am a free man!
SoS
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.03.03(Mon)18:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

The biggest problem with Seahorses is Feeding. They'll only eat live pods. Which live and grow in your tank. People have started to ween them onto frozen Mysis Shrimp. Your Setup sounds great for a seahorse tank.

Are you going to fill the 20H with Macro Algae and a light? That would be the best route. Do that with the Protien Skimmer and get rid of the Fluval.

I'd research there feeding more and learn all you can about that. Seahorses are actually pretty hardy. Its the feeding which causes the most problems.
number6
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.03.04(Tue)11:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

macro algae and a light- basically a 20g sump for a 10g tank? I can do that...
How much lighting on a 20g tall sump?

excuse my ignorance but what is a pod?
Discus Man is gone... I remain... #6... I am not a number I am a free man!
SoS
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.03.04(Tue)21:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are small insects that live in live rock and sand. The seahorses feed on them, but not entirely them.

http://www.uni-oldenburg.de/zoomorphology/Biology.html

For just the macro's a maybe a twinstrip flourescant. 2X 20W Should work.

I've seen some nice DIY sump/refugium setups for Macroalgae Live sand mud filters. Just search on google.[/url]

PostPosted: 2003.03.04(Tue)21:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys long time no see! When people say "pods" they mean small crustaceans that live on live rock and sand called amphipods and copepods. In regards to your macro sump ideah 2, 55 watt power compact bulbs should be sufficient for healthy macro growth. Just be ready to remove any bunches that go sexual and polute the tank. its easy to spot when this is going to happen because the affected runners and leaves will turn transluscent and milky. BTW if your serious about starting a sea horse tank. You should read about there natural habitat and try to set up your tank as close to that as possible. maybe a few bunches of eal grass and dare I say a few photosynthetic sea gorgonians *CRINGE*. I've had tramendous luck with purple sea whips but adequate lighting should be supplied like VHOs or PCs . good luck and happy reefing TTFN
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: