Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Alternative Aquarium Stands
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY)  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cyradia
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.07.06(Sun)7:05    Post subject: Alternative Aquarium Stands Reply with quote

Has anyone ever used pre-made, free-standing cabinets from Lowes or Home Depot to support a large tank? I'm talking about wooden ones that don't have a counter top section so the top is open, but have doors built-in to the front.

I understand that the measurements would have to be exact so that the rim of the tank lined up perfectly with the vertical sides of the cabinet, but if they did would the weight be a problem? I've always heard you have to be really careful about the weight from big tanks...but my 75 gallon now is supported by a really cheap plywood stand. Other than the design so that the rim of the tank lines up with the sides of the stand...what other strengths are built into aquarium stands?

In case you're wondering, what I'd like to do if the pre-made cabinet measurements work out is buy a line of cabinets for my den. I'd like two 75 gallons on either end of the line.

Any thoughts?
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.07.06(Sun)9:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as they are strudy I wouldn't worry about it. However, the cabinets are usualy particle board so you may want to seal them. After seeing the design @ the petstores I can't imagine they are any cheaper than that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
dan
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.07.12(Sat)10:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

One option I used was asking around untill you find a good carpenter or cabinet maker who does this work as a hobby or on the side. I was suprised to find one who made me a very nice oak canopy for my 150g tank for $100 so it turned out a lot cheaper than the stores, built to my specs, and much higher quality craftsmanship with a top opening door and front opening panel. Like I said though you do need to find someone who enjoys this work and won't charge you an arm and leg, but there are so many out there its just a matter of finding them.
As far as the premade I would really be carefull as they were not built with the intention of having 800 pounds of water on top of them. Plywood would be the best material and as you said making sure the edges of the tank line up with the supports. You could try beefing up one of these cabinets with a little extra reinforcement to ease your mind also.
ZX300SI
Members

PostPosted: 2003.07.12(Sat)18:33    Post subject: hey Reply with quote

Laughing you could always buy the prefab ones and make the stronger the 2x4 in the cabinit for more suport Laughing
Cyradia
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.07.12(Sat)19:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just so you guys know, I opted out of this plan because most all the cabinets were designed with an indention of several inches near the floor of the front. Maybe it's for your toes when you stand near the cabinet? I'm sure there's a proper name for it, but it's like an inverse lip and I was afraid the weight wouldn't be distributed correctly because of it.

I actually have to go back to the drawing board as to where to put the tank, anyway, because I have floor concerns about where I was going to put it (it would run parallel to the floor supports.)

Thanks though!
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.07.13(Sun)11:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cyradia wrote:
Just so you guys know, I opted out of this plan because most all the cabinets were designed with an indention of several inches near the floor of the front. Maybe it's for your toes when you stand near the cabinet? I'm sure there's a proper name for it, but it's like an inverse lip and I was afraid the weight wouldn't be distributed correctly because of it.

I actually have to go back to the drawing board as to where to put the tank, anyway, because I have floor concerns about where I was going to put it (it would run parallel to the floor supports.)

Thanks though!

Yes your right its for your toes so you can stand closer to the counters, its called a toe kick
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY) All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: