Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Pond filteration VS. No Lake Filteration
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Goldfish, K  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
meairlinepilot
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.07.03(Thu)21:51    Post subject: Pond filteration VS. No Lake Filteration Reply with quote

Why don't large ponds require filteration for the fish to stay alive? My friend has a large pond up in Oregon that is about 300'x300' and about 10 feet deep in the middle. It is stocked A LOT with largemouth bass...There must be at least a million bass in there. All fish are very healthy. Why does everything work out fine with out a filter? The water just sits there, no water entering and no water leaving it. Why wouldn't the fish die of nitrates or something like that? Thanks a lot for helping to clear up this...I've never been able to understand it. ~Bryson
Steve Hampton
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.07.03(Thu)22:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a constant unnoticeable (except in extreme situations) water changes going on. Everyday hundreds of gallons of water will evaporate from the pond. Eventually this will be replenished by rain. The rain water is high in O2 and CO2, plus it is basically pure water. This replenishment will stimulate other aquatic growth and plants that also help to further cleanse the water. Plant life makes for wonderful removers of nitrate. My planted tanks have zero nitrates always...I have to add nitrate to my tanks for the plants. Also, in a lake that is 300' x 300' with a maximum depth of 10' and an average depth of 5'...it would contain roughly 6,750,000 gallons of water. We both know you were exaggerating with your one million bass statement. In reality there is probably at most a couple of thousand...even heavily stocked at 10,000 bass, that would be 675 gallon per fish and it's highly unlikely there is that many fish.
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.07.03(Thu)23:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah I was exagerating about the million bass statement. There are tons and tons of bass in there though...that's what I meant. Now that I think about it the pond is more about 200'x200'. It's been a while since I've been up there...So the question I have now is, nitrates actually evaporate with the water? I don't remember where, but I heard that nitrates don't evaporate when water evaporates...Thanks for your help
Steve Hampton
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.07.04(Fri)1:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

meairlinepilot wrote:
So the question I have now is, nitrates actually evaporate with the water? I don't remember where, but I heard that nitrates don't evaporate when water evaporates...Thanks for your help

Read my first post again...I said plant life removes nitrates. In nature and even in my planted tanks, nitrates do not accumulate because the plants consume nitrate as their nitrogen source.
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.07.04(Fri)22:10    Post subject: Bacteria in mud Reply with quote

The mud is packed bacteria. Far more than your little filter can carry.
meairlinepilot
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.07.05(Sat)13:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

So for my own personal knowledge, do nitrates evaporate with water?
anonapersona
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.07.05(Sat)18:39    Post subject: Nitrates do not evaporate Reply with quote

Nitrates can be exported by doing partial water changes, or may be consumed by healthy live plants under good lighting conditions with proper fertilization.
anonapersona
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.07.05(Sat)19:21    Post subject: More info about nitrates and test kits Reply with quote

http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/pfk/pages/show_article.php?article_id=96

A much more thourough article about nitrate, correcting my last post, there are several ways to get nitratres out of the aquarium, plants, water changes and many different chemical means.
Steve Hampton
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.07.05(Sat)22:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

meairlinepilot wrote:

No.
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.07.06(Sun)22:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

meairlinepilot wrote:

This conversation scares me!
 Forum Index > Goldfish, K All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: