Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Dead white crabs popping up
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stixbaraca
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.07.03(Thu)15:10    Post subject: Dead white crabs popping up Reply with quote

The last 2 days I have found a dead white color crab that popped up from somewhere. Yesterday it was small, today the one that popped up...and was being inspected thoroughly by my bumble bee crab was a lot bigger...maybe 1/4 inch. They are very white all over...and not a shell liver. It resembles my emerald crab in shape...minus the hairy legs, and color of course. Anyone have any clue? Wish I had a digital camera to help with the ID.

Steve
SoS
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.07.03(Thu)17:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you added any live rock recently?
stixbaraca
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.07.03(Thu)20:37    Post subject: Dead white crabs popping up Reply with quote

Yes, I am about 5 weeks into the setup. Live rock about 40 pounds, and about 30 pounds of live sand. I have added many blue and red leg hermits, 2 peppermint shrimp,2 chocolate chip starfish, and 1 emerald crab...not ready for fish yet
SoS
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.07.04(Fri)5:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

If its going to be a fish only tank you really have very little to worry about. If you where going to add corals which I see you aren't because you put in some chocolate chip starfish. They might cause some havoc.
stixbaraca
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.07.04(Fri)20:05    Post subject: Small white crabs Reply with quote

I totally understand about the chocolate chips and corals...but what about the crabs I am finding? I did not put them in there, they must have piggy backed on the rock...what could they be?
SoS
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.07.04(Fri)20:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't worry about them.

ID'ing them might be tough. There are several thousand differant species of crabs.
karlas
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.07.12(Sat)7:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

its hard to say since there are so many crabs. I did loose an emerald one time though and it turned white when it died but I'm not sure if it goes with all crabs. if you find another one can you post a pic of it that may help
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: