Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Anyone have the directions for the DIY sponge filter?
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY)  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nonamethefish
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.07.02(Wed)17:19    Post subject: Anyone have the directions for the DIY sponge filter? Reply with quote

I remember it was posted by somebody on the old forum.
Cyradia
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.07.06(Sun)6:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never read the old post, but here's how I've done it based off of the construction of ones I've purchased:

Get a hollow piece of plastic tube, about the same diameter of the plastic tubes that fit into the bottom of a UGF. In fact, you can just use one of those if you have one laying around. Drill a hole that a piece of airline tubing will fit through about an inch from the top of this plastic tube. We'll call airline tubing hole side the top. Now, get a block of foam. Pierce the foam so that the bottom of the plastic tube slides into the block of foam. You want the plastic tube to go all the way in the middle of the foam, but stop about an inch from the other side. So the shape should be something like a stick through a candied apple. Now, turn the "candied apple" upside down and secure the bottom (unpierced foam side) somehow so that it sinks. The way I've always done it is glued (aquarium safe) it to a little square of tile. Lastly, run your air tubing from the outside of the filter, through the hole you drilled, and then down into the bottom of the tube. The airline should stop a little bit before it actually touches the foam.

The idea is, because you threaded the tubing through a little hole in your tube, it should stay in the sponge filter and not want to float up. With the bubbles originating up from the middle of the sponge block, they pull all the surrounding water through the sponge...which can then house bacteria. Works on the same principle as a UGF.

Here's a picture of one...notice the tile slate on the bottom that the sponge has been glued to:

http://angelsplus.com/g/lafl1.jpg
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY) All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: