Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Goldfish mating frenzy - Updated.
 Forum Index > Goldfish, K  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Matt Shandorf
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.07.01(Tue)8:59    Post subject: Goldfish mating frenzy - Updated. Reply with quote

I just thought I'd share the good news!

The goldfish in our 1200g pond (7 comet/fantail mix, 2 shubunkin) have begun to mate this morning. They are chasing eachother all around the pond and spawning under the cover of a large pad of water hyacinthes. I'm really interested to see what will happen, as some of the goldfish are white (the original comets we bought were white and orange - the two alleles seem to codominant, so both colors are displayed to varying degrees in their offspring). Especially interesting will be the result of the pairing of the pure whites and the shubunkins; one such pair was the most active, so I'm expecting a cross if any of their young survive. If anybody who has experience breeding goldfish, please enlighten me on the possible outcomes of this cross!

Last edited by Matt Shandorf on 2003.09.21(Sun)10:31; edited 1 time in total
Skysong
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.07.01(Tue)20:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice! What did you do to induce this behavior? I would follow what everyone else says, provide plenty of cover for the fry, free-floating mosses are great.

Best of luck, I hope you get some interesting fish out of this! Smile
SherryNE
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.07.02(Wed)8:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd remove the fry/eggsk into another tank entirely, and add a little methalyne blue to help block fungus.
I have no idea what you might get...but keep in mind a large percentage of the fry will not show the traits of the parents...they will be "wild-er type"
Carefully cull out crooked spines, and you may wish to discard the single tails unless they show exceptional color. color will very likely show up as a dull gray or blackish until they mature, which could be a year or so.

I just realized they are in a pond...so I guess you won't be moving them to another tank or culling right away.
Matt Shandorf
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.07.02(Wed)10:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, Sherry, we usually just let nature take over - resident frogs and the goldfish and koi usually nab what they can, leaving us with the stronger fish. Last year, we only had three that lived to grow enough to escape these threats.

Skysong - the goldfish haven't needed us to stimulate them in any way; they usually begin when it first gets really hot (high 80's). Yesterday it was 90 - the first 90 deg. weather we've had all year. The females start getting visibly gravid in late spring, when it's about 70.
Matt Shandorf
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.09.21(Sun)10:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's an update for anyone who's interested:

The goldies have produced a large number of young this year. I've spotted about fifteen, but I'm guessing there's about 20. They range in size from about 1/2 in. to 3 in., and their clor development is also varied. One shubunkin baby is completely colored - he's a vivid orange with red, white, and blueish-black spots (much prettier than his parents). There also some goldfish babies that have colored up; neither is completely orange. About 5 shubunkins are in the process of changing colors. Something about this year must have been really condusive to breeding for them - they've never made this many before!

P.S. I'd love to post pics, but alas, no digital camera...
nonamethefish
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.09.23(Tue)21:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd agree about the good year for breeding goldfish. For some reason the goldfish in pond tried their first spawns this year....to bad the big minnow thing was trailing right behind them.
 Forum Index > Goldfish, K All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: