Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
gold fish questions
 Forum Index > Goldfish, K  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lara croft
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.06.29(Sun)2:00    Post subject: gold fish questions Reply with quote

hiya everyone!
I've got my tank and am gonna buy fish but have a problem, is it wise to buy fish to go in the same tank from differant shops?

also can anyone give me some ideas on which fancey goldfish to go for?

help would be very appreciated Smile
anonapersona
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.06.29(Sun)19:13    Post subject: Simple fish Reply with quote

I'd suggest the less complicated the better, how about a Rykin -- hump backed and fancy tail? They are really pretty as they get older and larger, assuming you will allow them the 20 gallons per fish that they need to actually grow.

I suggest staying away from the really fancy ones, the telescope eye fish can have a hard time locating food. The super long tail fish may have trouble swimming in moderate current and the round body types often develop floating problems duw to compacted digestive systems. The orandas with headgrowth can get pits and cracks in the wen (that growth) that get infected, the wen can grow over the eyes and need to be cut away or the fish won't be able to see. (I don't have personal experience with that, but I read about it on the Puregold newsgroup)

How much room you allow per fish is really important, you ought to allow 10 gallons per fish, minimum, more as they get bigger.

I suggest that you consider fishless cycling the tank. I wish I had, I have a beautiful Panda (black fins and backbone and head, white belly) butterfly (holds its tail out like a butterflys wings) with super long fins and tail (tail is twices size of his body) and telescope eyes that hasn't eaten in days, can't seem to find food, gets pushed around by the mildest filter flow (big tail is like a kite) and has ruined gills from being my first fish in an uncycled tank.

Surprisingly difficult fish! All alone in a quarantine now.

On the other hand, a regular fantail is pretty easy to manage, do regular water changes, have massive filtration and aeration, avoid gravel and overcrowding, monitor ammonia and nitrite and nitrate.
lara croft
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.06.30(Mon)10:40    Post subject: thanks Reply with quote

thank you for your help Very Happy
 Forum Index > Goldfish, K All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: