Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Coil vs Electronic MH ballast
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bloggins
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.06.28(Sat)17:55    Post subject: Coil vs Electronic MH ballast Reply with quote

With regards to the long term, which one would be less costly and more efficient?

My tank is a 4 feet long hagen (it has an opaqu bar in the middle of the frame, on top). I'd probaby need two 175(min.) bulbs. A magentic, or electornic, or HQI or whatever ballast (dual) would really break the bank, and soem artcicles claim that they are prone to technical difficulties.

I could buy two coil ballasts for a third of the price from a lighting wholesaler, and use bulbs from an lfs, but I'd have to face the alleged ludicrous inefficiencies, and heat that most articlaes claim.

What do you guys use/recommend?
Derek
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.07.28(Mon)19:14    Post subject: Ballasts Reply with quote

Although the Magnetic ballast will be cheaper to buy, an electronic ballast will use far less energy saving you money there. Also With an electronic Ballast, the starting voltages are much more stable and will extend the life of your bulbs by perhaps 50% or more, and we all know, bulbs aint cheap so in the long term the savings are huge with electronic ballasts.

I don't know who told you Electronic ballasts are prone to failure, but in my opinion this is completely false. Electronic ballasts usually outlast Magnetic ones by at least three to one, so you do the math and see if your saving anything my buying the cheaper ballast initially.

Good Luck
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: