Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Is there such a thing as a dwarf goldfish?
 Forum Index > Goldfish, K  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zaphod beeblebrox
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.06.28(Sat)13:46    Post subject: Is there such a thing as a dwarf goldfish? Reply with quote

I was thinking about keeping some goldfish in a 10 gallon I have laying around, but considering their huge size and general messiness, I'm not sure it's such a great idea. I have two 55 gal tanks but they are full of nice plants which I don't want to use for Goldfish salad. I guess it's just a case of the grass being greener...I've never kept goldfish before and I'm kind of curious. But not curious enough to sacrifice plants.

Just wishfully wondering whether there exists a dwarf goldfish...
SherryNE
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.06.28(Sat)14:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, a 10 gallon is really not a big enough permanet home for goldfish. Each goldfish needs 10 gallons each, so technically you could try keeping a little oranda or one of the smaller, more compact goldfish, but all of them are going to get massive and not have much room to move around.
If you do try it, a fancy type would be better than a comet or slim bodied type that will want more swimming room.
Steve Hampton
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.06.28(Sat)15:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you considered a small pond? Even if your space is limited an above ground container type pond can be very entertaining. My personal favorites for outdoor tank/pond are Shubunkins. It's a great way to take your hobby to another dimension...outdoors. Some of the great things about shubunkins are their fantastic colors, personality and bond to thier caregiver, and several varieties only grow to 6-8 inches.
 Forum Index > Goldfish, K All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: