Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Please My Manderin fish is really weak!
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lilan
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.06.28(Sat)8:23    Post subject: Please My Manderin fish is really weak! Reply with quote

It does not eat,its colour is fading,it does not come out and its colour used to be very bright,it eats frozen brines and now it does not eat even a single thing.
WHAT SHOULD I DO.
Monster
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.06.28(Sat)9:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

have you had your water tested? If I were you, I'd test my water - the whole range, pH, nitirite, ammonia, nitrate and hardness at least. Maybe the water conditions are not good, and therefore he's weakened?
try live brine if you can too .
The Old Salt
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.06.28(Sat)12:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man cannot live on bread alone, nor can Mandarins live on brine.

What kind of tank setup do you have?
How long have you had this fish?
What other fish are in the tank?
When did the trouble start?
fishdude
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.06.28(Sat)22:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, without knowing a little about your tank it's kind of hard to say. If you don't have a lot of live rock in your tank and/or it's not fully established, you don't have the microfauna required by the mandarin to fully thrive. Brine shrimp by itself really isn't enough to keep any marine fish alive and healthy for extended periods of time, much less the picky and demanding mandarin. A beautiful fish, but one best left to the experts.

fishdude
lilan
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.06.29(Sun)1:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

well. maybe it is the filter it is giving the trouble. but thanks for your reply. my manderin died few minutes ago.
Monster
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.06.29(Sun)7:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry to hear about that lilan.
so - what else would you recommend trying to feed to mandarins since they are so picky? just curious....
SoS
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.06.29(Sun)9:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are few if any reports of Mandarins ever eating anything but live food. In the form of Copepods. The little white bug lookin things in your reef tank. You should have a mature large reef 55+ with no other pod predators.

My Mandarin is Fat and happy and I've never fed him a thing. I have a 55 gallon tank with a refugium which I stocked with Live pods I purchased from www.ipsf.com.

This is the only way to keep a Mandarin Dragonet. They will not eat prepared foods. I'm very suprised he ate the brine. It might have been out of pure starvation.

Last edited by SoS on 2003.06.30(Mon)14:00; edited 1 time in total
Monster
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.06.30(Mon)13:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

interesting...what is it called on that website? (pardon my ignorance here)
Smile

do you really pay $30 in shipping?
SoS
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.06.30(Mon)14:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monster wrote:
interesting...what is it called on that website? (pardon my ignorance here)
Smile

do you really pay $30 in shipping?

Yes shipping is around 30-40 bucks. Its sent by the fastest possible route from hawaii. Check out there 9 for 99$ with free shipping it was a great deal.

http://www.ipsf.com/#anchor148721

Reef Amphipod Breeding Kit. Amphipods - small, shrimplike crustaceans of the genus Grammarus - are among the best invertebrate diversity builders you can add to a reef tank. Under the right conditions, amphipods mate and reproduce readily in captivity. We ship our captive-bred Reef Amphipodstm nationwide every day, and we've learned that their preferred breeding habitat is a lush green mat of Ulva macroalgae - the Amphipod Mat. You can create your own amphipod farm by floating one of these amphipod mats under low light in a well-aerated sump, refugium or dedicated 10-gallon breeding tank. Seed it with amphipod specimens which we provide. A twice-weekly addition of our enriched 'Pod Flakes (just a pinch!) provides ample nutrient input. Our new Reef Amphipod Breeding Kit gets you started with all the right components: adult and sub-adult reef amphipods (at least 25 specimens), a thriving 3" x 3" mat of Ulva macroalgae and enough enriched 'Pod Flakes to last for several months. Grow your own! $29.95 with any livestock order; free shipping only if ordered as part of a Mix 'n Match. ($39.95 plus shipping if ordered alone). Order
Monster
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.06.30(Mon)16:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the info - I'll consider that!
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: