Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Possible Mating
 Forum Index > Goldfish, K  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EndlikeriEskort
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.06.25(Wed)16:05    Post subject: Possible Mating Reply with quote

Hey, I have a 55 Gallon tank, and in it, the inhabitants are 1 Common goldfish, 1 Comet goldfish, 1 Calico telescope goldfish, 1 Black Moor, 1 Calico Fantail, and 1 Red-Cap Oranda.

At feeding time, I have no problems with their pecking order, because the Red-Cap is the boss of the tank, and will actually show agression twards the other tankmates at feeding time, unless he eats his fill before any of them do.

Now though, he seems to be "buddying up" with my common, and allowing it to get food first, and now will not chase it. About 2 weeks prior to this, the oranda was bossing around the common, and staying away from it, and chasing it from the food, as he does every other fish. Butr now, this behavior has changed.

Why is he doing this? Are they potential mates? Are they just plain weird? I have no idea what's going on.
SherryNE
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.06.25(Wed)17:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not mating behavior. When they are mating, the chase each other around the tank. Usually this occurs in early spring.
Dawn
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2003.06.25(Wed)21:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sherry's right. The males chase the females rather aggressively when they're going to mate (or at least mine did, I don't have a female anymore). The males pretty much won't leave the females alone and then one day you find eggs everywhere or what ever eggs weren't eaten (depends when you find the eggs). Smile

My goldies must be stupid or something because both of the males are sporting tubercles now. They never were encouraged to spawn the way I've read about. They didn't experience seasonal changes and I didn't do anything special. They did spawn this time of the year (maybe a little sooner though). Confused
 Forum Index > Goldfish, K All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: