Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
aquarium chiller
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY)  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
neon808
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.06.23(Mon)23:39    Post subject: aquarium chiller Reply with quote

anyone had any experience with a diy aquarium chiller? I was thinking of using a thermoelectric chiller like this - http://www.marinedepot.com/a_ch_iceprobe.asp?CartId=

seems like a good solution to my temperature problem (I live in hawaii, so my aquarium temp easily reaches 80F during the afternoons) since my tank is only a 7 gal mini bow tank.

I'm just wondering how to mount it, I was thinking possibly just mounting it into my filter cover that way water is always circulating around. any other ideas would be welcome.
dan
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.06.24(Tue)16:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this for a reef tank? I ask because 80 is fine for most tropical fish. I have only heard of chillers being used on salt water reef tanks or lobster tanks.
neon808
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.06.25(Wed)0:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

no, it's a freshwater aquarium. I was thinking of adding a chiller because during the day the temperature sometimes goes over 80F and with the chiller I could keep the temp more constant thus reducing the stress on my fish.

if you were wondering, my tank is currently stocked with neon tetras and 3 cories
dan
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.06.25(Wed)21:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

If money doesn't matter get the chiller don't forget the cost of the electric to power it. Otherwise I would recomend researching fish and picking ones that live in temps simular to yours. As far as fluctuating temps maybe find the high during the day and get a heater and set it a couple of degrees lower to lessen the temp changes.
uLtRa
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.06.26(Thu)3:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heres a few links I found on DIY chillers:

http://www.aloha.net/~hqf/indexdonschiller.htm

http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/~cap/raid/chillers/diy/

http://www.kingvinnie.com/aquaria/diy/links_page.asp?cat=10
sassy_sarie
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.06.28(Sat)3:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

imo I wouldnt bother buying the chiller. put styrofoam under your aquarium, and maybe have a fan blowing by the aquarium
Steve Hampton
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.06.28(Sat)23:27    Post subject: Re: aquarium chiller Reply with quote

neon808 wrote:
I'm just wondering how to mount it, I was thinking possibly just mounting it into my filter cover that way water is always circulating around. any other ideas would be welcome.

The IceProbe is a pretty interesting little chiller that uses Thermoelectric technology. It can be quite effective at lowering the temperature in small tanks of 10G or less. Mounting is a bit of a problem. The suggested mounting is to drill a 1-1/4" hole in your glass or acrylic side/back of your tank so that the "probe" is directly in contact with the water. I have seen an alternative to drilling your tank, it involves using an old AquaClear HOB filter and drilling the hole in it instead of your tank.

Note that the unit only draws 50W of power so electric costs for running it would be insignificant. The big issue is drilling a hole in your tank.
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.07.01(Tue)2:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah that's what I'm trying to figure out is how to mount the ice probe if I did buy it. just wanted to see if anybody had any other ideas. I'm definately not drilling a hole into my glass tank, and I don't' exactly have room for another filter since my setup is only a 7 gal tank. that's why I was thinking of mounting it into my existing filter. I just don't' want to screw up the cover for my filter since I can't find a replacement locally.
Skysong
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.07.01(Tue)19:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

sassy_sarie wrote:
imo I wouldnt bother buying the chiller. put styrofoam under your aquarium, and maybe have a fan blowing by the aquarium

True, the styrofoam would insulate the tank, much like an icebox, but the fan would cause an excess of evaporation. The styrofoam would keep the heat out, but it could also keep the heat in.
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY) All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: