Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Which are good detritus eaters and good sand shifters?
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Taratron
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2003.06.23(Mon)21:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not trying to start any form of a flame war...but animals in SW tanks are not just algae-eaters. They DO need, for the most part, some kind of protein, and that would include shrimp and the like. Even SW fish flake food contains protein.

If it is your goal to have a SW tank with only vegetarian animals, I fear your choices are severely limited.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
SoS
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.06.23(Mon)21:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

I double that Taratron.

Get a new hobby, every fish needs a protien source.

Sorry, I heard the Chiapet is making a comeback.
PetCrazy
Members

PostPosted: 2003.06.24(Tue)0:55    Post subject: Oh dear Reply with quote

Submarine, I'm really sorry to inform you that I agree with the others...
This isn't the right hobby for you if you want your fish to simply eat vegetable matter....everything needs a variety of foods..in one form or another..and protein has to come from somewhere.
In all honesty, your mother and you know that you can't force your vegetarian beliefs on another person..it isn't right..it isn't your choice. The same thing goes for a fish, you can't force it to change it's dietary requirements to suit your own belief.

A human being can adapt while a fish is far less capable of surviving with such restrictions. They won't be able to understand WHY they aren't getting what they require, nor will they wish to find other means of nutrition (and the finicky eaters simply won't even bother). They will either starve themselves, or seek out their protein through other sources...either eating your invertebrates or damaging/killing other fish.
Even algae eaters will eat other fish, usually waiting for the dead or the dying, but either way...they'll go for it. Have you ever seen plecos feasting on a dead companion? Even goldfish will eat younger goldfish.
Algae eating snails I'm sure would love to devour a dead fish if the hermit crabs didn't nab it first.

Another thing is...if you are putting live rock in your tank, there will be living things that will come from it, breed in your tank, and be eaten by your fish.
So no matter what, you can't really control that at all...so if you can't beat it, and if you want to continue to keep sw fish...I'd advise you just let this slide by and give them what they need for survival.
Perhaps this needs to be thoroughly explained to your mother as well.
Well, I've a zoo to take care of, I honestly hope you find a solution to this dilemma. This is a wonderful hobby, but one has to keep in mind the health of the fish. After all, their lives are entirely dependant on you...
Submarine_Street
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.06.25(Wed)18:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand what you guys mean, I'll try to explain to my mom and I hope she'll understand. I don't find any of your statements offenseive and I totally agree that your 100% right. Anyways thank you for telling me this advice or else I'll end up being a fish killer.
spkspk
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.06.28(Sat)9:45    Post subject: Vegetarian fish? Reply with quote

I think you need to reconsider your fish selection once again. The clowns are not noted for being algae eaters, and I think your angels are going to suffer as well. I believe a fair number of fish are optimally omnivores, not herbivores. Even my Kohl Tang, which is a noted for enjoying algae, enjoys the blood worms and brine shrimp I feed them. You are going to have to have a lot of clips hugging the sides of your tank to hold pieces of dried algae. If you made your tank exclusively vegetarian, I doubt you could maintain the necessary population of plant life. Algae blennies are a truly vegetarian species if you wish to add it to your collection.
Submarine_Street
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.06.28(Sat)22:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice.
Submarine_Street
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.06.28(Sat)22:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll change my live stock starting with a regal tang and a herbevore blennie. Sorry about this I hope you guys aren't mad at me. If there's some more herbavore fish please let me know, thanks.
ophie
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.06.30(Mon)20:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey sub.street. Sorry to tune in so late, but it's great that you're so open to advice and are doing so much research to care for your fishes.

I was just thinking... do you think it would be acceptable to your mom (and you) to feed foods like Formula One or Formula Two that are blended formulas made for saltwater fish? These have meat in them (though Formula Two is made for herbivores like many tangs and blennies), but I thought they might be less offensive.

Also, would it help to consider what the fish eat in the wild? For instance, humans can choose not to eat shrimp, but shrimp (mysis, preferably, not brine) are an excellent and natural source of nutrients for most marine fish. Also, foods based around plankton, shrimp, etc... might be more acceptable to a human vegetarian than foods based on clams, fish meat, beef heart, etc...

Feeding foods like these might not be as disgusting and unnatural-seeming as, for comparison, preparing a hamburger would be.

As for the fish, sand-sifting gobies, blennies, or jawfish are a great idea. There are also sand-sifting sea stars. Also glad to see that you will rule out keeping two dwarf angels (of ANY species) in the same tank and that you will reconsider the moorish idol. Check out the longfin bannerfish as a possible alternative.
Submarine_Street
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.07.01(Tue)9:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you that humans has the knowledge and the genetical strength to change their diet anytime they want but fishes can't. The formula food sounds like a good idea. This might be the key to convice my mom, I don't mind feeding my fish meat, it's just my mom that is afraid of meat food. If I fail I guess I'll change back to buy herbavore fishes and check out the longfind bannerfish, thank you very much for your advice.
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Jump to: