Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Which are good detritus eaters and good sand shifters?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Submarine_Street
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.06.23(Mon)0:10    Post subject: Which are good detritus eaters and good sand shifters? Reply with quote

Hi, I have a 55 gallon tank and I haven't finishing cycling it. I'm planning to buy some invertebrates or fishes that will eat detritus amd shift the sand. If anyone have any opinion please let me know. Thanks.
SoS
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.06.23(Mon)4:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it going to be a fish only or a reef setup? and what type of fish are going to be in it?

Some fish eat most detritus removers and some removers won't survive outside a reef setup. So we need a bit more info before we can recommend.
Submarine_Street
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.06.23(Mon)10:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

My tank will be a FOWLR, I'm planning to own 3 true percula clown fish, 2 flame angle fish, 1 regal tang, 1 morish idol, 1 royal gamma, 2 cleaner shrimp, and 3 blue hermit crab. I'll introduce max of 2-3 new fish each week. I'm using a prizm skimmer, using a NO single strip floresent tube, a 200 watt heater, and my tank is 48"x12"x20". Will the 401 powerhead would be enough current for the tank? And at which order should I buy my fishes? Thanks. Wink
SLACkra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.06.23(Mon)11:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

morish idoles are very difficult to keep. it would be best to just get a pair of clown fish or two jueviniles so that they will become a pair. everything else seems OK but instead of a powderblue tang I would go for a yellow tang. they eat more algae like hair algae ect. also for a tank thats not a lot of hermits. if you want some really good burrowers and scavengers get soem non-preditory bristle worms. I have about 300 of them and they are perfict scavengers and they have a great ability to smell food from far away and they just home in for it. also a blue cheek gobie would mix up your substrate
2 winged demons
Taratron
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2003.06.23(Mon)11:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tank stock in question is WAY too much for a 55 SW tank.

I agree with SLACKRA--less fish is better.

Do stay away from the Idols. For every one that actually eats in captivity, many more perish from refusing to eat.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Submarine_Street
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.06.23(Mon)11:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Q1) Are detritus like fish poop and left over food? Q2) And if I don't have detritus eater fish, wouldn't the aragonite sand decompose the detrutis anyways? Q3) If the aragonit sand does decompose the detritus, is the detritus eater fish a unit to support the aragonite sand to decompose faster? Q4) What advantages does the sand shifter gives to the aragonite sand? Sorry for asking so many questions but I'm a really big noob to saltwater fishes, thanks.
Submarine_Street
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.06.23(Mon)11:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I change my stock to this instead will it be OK? ==> A pair of True percula clown fish, a pair of flame angle fish, 1 blue tang, 1 royal gamma, 2 cleaner shrimp, 1 blue cheek gobie, 8 blue leg hermit crabs, and a lot bristle worms. Sorry that I didn't take your advice about changing the regal tang to a yellow tang, it's just that I love regal tang so much I can't give her up, I hope that the blue leg hermit crab finish the rest of the algae job. Would the blue cheek gobie eat up the bristle worms? Thank you very much for the advice.
PetCrazy
Members

PostPosted: 2003.06.23(Mon)16:01    Post subject: Respectively Regal Reply with quote

I know regal tangs are stunning fish, I'm quite fond of them myself and would like to one day have a tank large enough to house one properly. But to be honest with you...even though it's a 55...I would advise against it...unless you plan on buying a tiny one(maybe the length of your pinky) to raise in the 55 until you get a 75 gallon tank or larger .(Though of course for all I know you have a friend with a massive saltwater tank who would be able to take this fish on once it gets too large for your tank
SoS
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.06.23(Mon)16:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Submarine_Street wrote:
If I change my stock to this instead will it be OK? ==> A pair of True percula clown fish, a pair of flame angle fish, 1 blue tang, 1 royal gamma, 2 cleaner shrimp, 1 blue cheek gobie, 8 blue leg hermit crabs, and a lot bristle worms. Sorry that I didn't take your advice about changing the regal tang to a yellow tang, it's just that I love regal tang so much I can't give her up, I hope that the blue leg hermit crab finish the rest of the algae job. Would the blue cheek gobie eat up the bristle worms? Thank you very much for the advice.

A pair of True percula clown fish: Make sure there mated or they might kill each other. You might get away with it in a 55. They'll just stick to differant parts of the tank.

a pair of flame angle fish: They'll kill each other

1 blue tang: Gets way too big.

The only Tang that stays a decent size for a 55 is the Yellow Tang. When they are full grown after a year or two (8 inches) They'll be too big for a 55.
Submarine_Street
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.06.23(Mon)21:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I'll buy the regal tang when I get a bigger tank, thank you for letting me know, or else I will regret making it suffer. And I'll get only one flame angel fish. Thanks for the advice. This is a stupid question, but I want to ask is there a way that a royal gamma will eat veggie food?, I want to buy a royal gamma but my mom and I are vegeterians and my mom doesn't let me buy meat only eating fish unless I can make it eat veggies she saids.
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: