Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
FAQ: SNAIL Infestation! Why? What should I do?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 19, 20, 21  Next
 Forum Index > Fishes and Invertebrates  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
andrea
New Members

PostPosted: 2004.10.20(Wed)17:45    Post subject: Re: FAQ: SNAIL Infestation! Why? What should I do? Reply with quote

Good golly!!! I have the opposite problem- I can't get or keep enough snails in my tank to feed my dwarf pufferfish...lol......get four of them and you won't have a snail problem any more!!

honeypoo wrote:
I bought a plant that had a snail and now I have a million (so it seems). There was recently a post about snail problems. I tried the lettuce. Sad I have tried removing them as they show up, but I can't keep up!! There was another post about different fish that eat snails - can anyone help with the names of those fish.
andrea
New Members

PostPosted: 2004.10.20(Wed)17:52    Post subject: Re: Snails Reply with quote

Happyface wrote:
Or you could go the fun way... Freshwater puffers are REALLY interesting, and they love little snails, and it sounds like you may have brackish water, and there are a bunch of brackish puffers. They are often evil little buggers, so reasearch thoroughly before adding them, but if you can fit them in, they're really cool, and would probably solve the snail problem.
:
ABSOLUTELY....lol....I have the opposite problem. I can't keep enough snails in my tank. And they truely are precious and entertaining little fishes to have. Go get em!
andrea
New Members

PostPosted: 2004.10.20(Wed)17:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex wrote:
Rams(Microgeophagus ramirezi) might be a good choice, especially if you have a smaller tank. They can't eat the larger snails but they will eat the eggs and the baby snails so they will cut off the supply. If you get Rams try to get a male and female pair.

Alex

I can second that...I see my Rams eating small snails off the walls of tank and everywhere else!
Tsartetra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.11.01(Mon)9:59    Post subject: 3 species of loaches that DO eat snails: Reply with quote

In fact, they relish them! In my 44 gallon, I have 2 Botia striata, 2 Botia morleti and 1 Botia modesta. All of these eat snails with gusto! I put about a dozen MTSs, thinking those will help me maintain my tank and the botias would not be able to eat them. WRONG! I think my modesta, which is around 7 inches in length, ate even the largest (approximately an inch and a half to two inches!) of my MTSs. I see lots of MTS in my 10, which has only kuhlis as bottom-dwellers, but none in the 44 with 5 botias.... So the idea that MTSs are not eaten by botia would seem to be wrong.

Also, I enjoy having snails in my 10, at least now that the predominant species are not pond snails! I added MTS and ramshorns( the rams 'cause I had a green carpet over much of the tank and no luck keeping any algae eaters alive! So I added ramshorns and they really did the trick!) and am happy with the results. If I have too many, I scoop some out and toss into the 44--where the botias wait happily for them to hit the gravel!
puffer_lover
Members

PostPosted: 2004.11.16(Tue)4:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

puffers are most definatly the best way to rid your infestation. not only do you get a great fish, if you get a dwarf its freshwater and eats snals in the cutest way ever. I have a dwarf and a green puffer and they love to be treated to snails evry so often.
2 Pink Kissing Gouramis.
marto
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.12.19(Sun)21:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

clown loaches eat em as well
Ruby2509
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.01.20(Thu)10:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

do what my friend does. he has some clown loaches and they work like magic
Wink
baby_6882
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.02.15(Tue)17:35    Post subject: will cory's help Reply with quote

I have Endler's in my tank and 2 glass catfish. I have a big snail problem. I have all kinds of babies in my tank also. I wasn;t sure if I should try the lettuce. I read loachess are good but I can't find if there compatiblle with endler's. Will a cory cat help withe snails. Pleaase help.
Tsartetra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.02.16(Wed)13:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

The smaller varieties of loach (rostrata, striata) should be compatible with your endler's. They would also add character and nice contrast.
marto
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.03.06(Sun)3:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got that problem as well. Last oct I got 1 apple snails since last tuesday I have found baby black snail thats are from a ramhorn snail. I have killed about 5 of them and thrown my apple snail in a pond. I so don't want to hire a clown loach that will out grow my tank quickly
 Forum Index > Fishes and Invertebrates All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 19, 20, 21  Next
Jump to: