Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
FAQ: SNAIL Infestation! Why? What should I do?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next
 Forum Index > Fishes and Invertebrates  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan H.
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.01.14(Wed)19:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

They slug around Laughing . Some I suppose are considered pretty and add character to the tank.

Anyways, they eat algae and fish waste I suppose, though if it's not plentiful, you can feed them greens of some sorts. This is all a guess by the way. I had one once as a science project, but I didn't really pay attention, and soon I had hundreds. I didn't really bother figuring out how to care for them, because they were doing way to well as it was anyways.

They are very interesting creatures though, and at the time I found them more amusing than the guppy I had for the experiment also. I wouldn't mind having another one, though they breed way too much. Unless there is a snail that doesn't as much as others, then I'd get some Cool .
Ducks
New Members

PostPosted: 2004.01.14(Wed)23:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

depends on the type of snails.. Rams eat plants.. can wipe all plants out in a week.
as for tiny snails, my clown loaches ate them all.. nothing left.
Irons
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.01.15(Thu)11:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

It really does depend on the type of snail. There are 4 major snail types you'll find in the home freshwater aquarium.

Apple/Mystery snails. Large snails, may/may not eat your plants. Can clean up algae and left over foods.

Malayasian Trumpet Snails. Mostly burrow up and down in the substrate. Eating left overs and such. They will eat fish eggs, but leave plants alone.

Ramshorns. Said to eat planet, never experinced that my self. Will eat some algaes, IIRC. I haven't had any poplution explosings with this.

"Common"/"Pond Snails". Eat every, known for popluation explosion. I've been fortunate that the varity that I have don't eat my live plants. I don't have really have anymore as my dojo loaches eat them.

I hope this helps.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
gadzilla
New Members

PostPosted: 2004.01.23(Fri)18:34    Post subject: Snails Reply with quote

I just picked up some Elodea plants and they seem to have brought with them Malasian trumpeet snails. They are eating the leaves and while the plant is still doing OK I am keeping n eye on them. Any advice on keeping them under control?
jPass
New Members

PostPosted: 2004.01.23(Fri)18:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of fish do you have in the tank? I know that Clown loaches like to eat snails, as do dwarf puffers.
gadzilla
New Members

PostPosted: 2004.01.24(Sat)7:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

since it is still a new tank...I have only 12 cardinal tetras. I am planing on getting some shrimp soon.
jcmissionary
New Members

PostPosted: 2004.01.26(Mon)13:57    Post subject: Snails?!?!? Ewww..... Reply with quote

My 20 gallon tank is nearing the end of it's fishless cycling, and I've noticed around 8 or 9 insect looking things growing on the glass of my aquarium. From looking at some of the bigger specimens, it seems that I'm getting snails, appearantly brought in on the live plants I put in the tank.

Now, I've read that snails can be good for a tank, since they eat algae and whatnot, but will my tank suffer if I were to remove them? From what I've seen, some are growing fairly high up on the front glass, and I'd really rather not have some snail right in the middle of my view. Any advice anyone could give me would be great. Thanks!
cailan
Members

PostPosted: 2004.01.26(Mon)19:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

there's not really much you can do about snails. once you have them, you're stuck with them! you can take a large fish net and when the snails crawl up on the side, scrape them off and catch them in the net. some people say to throw a piece of lettuce in the tank overnight and the snails will crawl onto it but I've never had that work significantly. good luck getting em under control! Laughing
Taratron
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2004.01.26(Mon)23:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of cardinal tetras...

I've kept dwarf malabar puffers in my tanks to curb the snail populous, to no effect.

However, in my cardinal tetra tank, I squash a snail, and stare at the tetras, all acting like lions at a kill site, trying to rip the body apart!

Even if keeper involvement is needed, could we say that cardinals -would- be able to take down the snails....oh, with a few more centuries' worth of evolution? Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
EricSilver
Members

PostPosted: 2004.02.01(Sun)0:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Relatively small amounts of caffeine will kill snails very quickly. It is a neurotoxin, causing them to writhe uncontrollably (before dying). Orchid growers in Hawaii routinely use it eradicate snails and slugs, and many gardeners use coffee grounds for the same purpose.

As for the impact on fish, I can't say with certainty. I have seen no data suggesting it is toxic to them.. At worst, they will probably just swim much faster, and perhaps be a bit jittery, for a little while. Smile

If you are tempted to give it a try, I would suggest buying a pack of "No-Doze" (250mg of caffeine per pill) from your drug store. Grind two or three pills into powder and add them to the water. Over the course of a few hours to a few days, your snail problem should be corrected.
 Forum Index > Fishes and Invertebrates All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next
Jump to: