Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
About Bristle Worms...
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
J.J. Shabadoo Jr
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.06.20(Fri)17:16    Post subject: About Bristle Worms... Reply with quote

I've been buying live rock, froma reputable dealer in my city (indonesian live rock, or somewhere around that area). After work today, I found what appeared to be two bristleworms, both attached to each other, and to the live rock by a filamenteous, stringy material. The one closest to the rock showed little signes of life, the one on the end seemed to squirm in the current, both had thier bodies compleetly exposed, and were juts dangling there, in full light.

it was pretty easy removing the both of them with a fish net, I did so with little effort. it's the firt time I've seen the worms, but not the first time I've bought live rock there, so I guess this is a chance occurence.

The worm, was quite small, the only distinguashable charcteristic is that I could see a red line down it's body.

I will do a more thorough than usual, check tonight to see if I have an infestation, but my question is...what if I do? (do I pray, tear down the tank, make a sacrifice to the god of aquarium health?) At the moment my tank houses no corals or fishes, only live rock, a brittle starfish, sand-sifting starfish, and two peppemint shrimp. I WAS planning on corals.

Some reef keepers talk about bristle worms in a near biblical sense, and advocate that one should maim, scald, slice, and voo-doo them to death. Others say that the event of contracting a harmful to the reef species of Bristle worm is remote, and although unsightly, will not show up during the day, and help remove detritus. So given that the rocks I bought came from the indo-pacific area, are the chances good I contracted the coral harming worm? Is it time to buy a small carton of tiny nukes?
SoS
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.06.20(Fri)17:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't sacrafice any goats yet.

I myself have never had any damage from birstleworms. I have several decent ones in my tank the largest I have seen in there was around 6 inches. I kind of enjoy them they add some variety to the tank. My attitude would probably change quickly if they did some harm to my corals.

Chances are you'll never have problems. Most people don't.
J.J. Shabadoo Jr
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.06.20(Fri)17:33    Post subject: That's a relief Reply with quote

Lol, Those damn goats win this round. OK thanks, I'll let them be and continue with my aspirations, but I'll keep a close eye on the forum to see how other poeple have fared with them.
SLACkra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.06.20(Fri)18:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought bristle worms were a problem once(read bad book) but now I happily have about 300 of them in my 32g. there fun. if I acedentily feed to much they eat it all. now and then to help them along I use a pipette and put food in the crushed coral. there are helpfull little guys. but word of advice. if you have bristle worms wear gloves when you put your hands in the tank. I have had a couple bad experiences with those little cactuses!
2 winged demons
spkspk
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.06.21(Sat)22:40    Post subject: a solution Reply with quote

If you do not want an infestation of bristleworms, I believe that arrow crabs consume them. It is interesting that one company I saw online had a collection of detrivores (critters that eat detritus like excess food, excrement, etc.) for sale that included baby bristleworms. That livestock provider stated that the bristleworm is one of the best values. Of course, we must consider the source as an agent who is providing bristleworms for sale.
SoS
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.06.22(Sun)8:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with arrow crabs is they also consume just about anything that they can get there claws on.
karlas
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.06.25(Wed)18:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bristle worms shouldnt bother anything I have them to and they don't bother anything it seems. Some people remove them sometimes if they see a really huge one if it makes them feel uncomfortable but leave the small ones. An arrow crab can get quite aggressive but there are several wrasses that may eat them you can check into.
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: