Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
new to reefs. but how dose this 25g reef setup sound.
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SLACkra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.06.20(Fri)9:47    Post subject: new to reefs. but how dose this 25g reef setup sound. Reply with quote

hi all. OK so heres my plan for a 25g reef tank. because I am new to corals I am going to have mostly mushrooms and polyps because I know I can keep them alive.(curently have 10mushrooms and some polyps) OK so a 25g tank 24X18X13. length depth width. I was thinking of going the plenium berlin hybrid. for lighting 3x55watt pcs. skimming a prizm. a pair of false percs or some other small fish. corals mushrooms polyps and any other non-agresive corals. what corals do you recomend? there will be 2 5g tanks one for top of and the other for water changes. both with heaters and phs. OK what do you think. also will I be able to keep anything like xienia coral? I have a thing for xienia its just so magnificint. also please inform me if any of the corals listed have sweeper tenticles ect. some constructive critisism would be nice!
2 winged demons
The Old Salt
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.06.20(Fri)10:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, that sounds pretty good,
including the Xenia.

I can't quite figure out what you mean by two 5-gallon tanks, each with heater and phs? Phs?
SLACkra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.06.20(Fri)11:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

powerheads. pH. though I doupt that will catch on. always trying to shorten things. for the plenium I am thinking of putting a 1inch lair(spelling?) of crushed coral, a cloth/gravel tidy then anouther inch lair of crushed coral. another gravel tidy then a lair of live sand. do you think that will work? also I forgot to add I hope to put some species of calerpa into the tank too. what corals do you recomend old salt?
2 winged demons
The Old Salt
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.06.20(Fri)11:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd go crushed coral, small grade aragonite, live sand. Instead of cloth I'd use plastic screen. Screen won't clog and impede water flow, and it'll allow more critters to get through it. The live sand on top will colonize the aragonite below it, making it live as well.

Caulerpas will be okay, but I should warn that they'll grow like crazy, and the dark/light cycles of the tank's lighting will make the Caulerpa release it's turpenoids into the water, making it yellow and slightly toxic. Some of it will skim out, but some of it won't.
Have you considered a refugium?
Putting your Caulerpas in one of the 5 gallon tanks with 24-hour lighting will let it filter your water without releasing turpenoids, and it makes one fine filter system indeed. You can also grow plenty of critters in it that can be used to feed the fish and corals.

Corals for a small tank? Okay, here's a list of some genera that are pretty easy to keep and not very aggressive:

Lobophyllia ( brain )
Trachyphyllia ( open brain )
Favites ( moon & pineapple )
Favia ( moon & pinapple )
Caulastrea ( trumpet & candycane )
Nemenzophyllia ( Fox coral )
Cynarina ( meat, button )
Xenia
Anthelia
Zooanthus
Palythoa ( deadly poisonous to humans )
Clavularia
Mushrooms. ( keep these away from other corals )

I left the soft corals off this list for chemical reasons. Many of them would make nice additions to a much bigger tank, but not this one.
SLACkra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.06.20(Fri)12:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am actually thinking of using a 32g tank. its 24x24x12 I think. would the 165watts of pc work on a tank like that with about 4-5inches of plenium. Also I am thinking of drilling a hold in the tanks bottom or side and using pc to make and overflow type thing. the pipes would go to the refugium with colerpa and live rock. then it would be pumped back up into the tank. also I am woried about algae. I have had my fair share of hair algae problems in my 32g that I have setup right now in canada. so what inverts would be good to use to eat hair algae and brown daitom algae ect. I have had really bad luck with snails they all eventually fall over and can't right them selves and get weak and die. theres only one type of snail that I have had luck with and its a scavenger. what would work in a 32g or a 25g to eat hair algae? also whats best the 25 or the 32g with that amount of lighting and filtration?
2 winged demons
The Old Salt
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.06.20(Fri)13:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bigger is always better.

4-5 inches is a bit deep if you plan to use a plenum, but fine if you don't. If not, don't bother with the screen separating the layers. I suppose I should clarify that the plenum is the empty space UNDER the sand, not the sandbed itself. A 5 inch plenum would be pretty huge!

If you drill a hole in the tank, make sure it's near the top, not the bottom. When the power goes out, you don't want the tank to continue to drain all over the floor.

If you set up a caulerpa filter, you won't have to worry too much about algae in the tank. The catch is to set up the caulerpa tank first and have it fully established before setting up the rest of the system. If you do, then the caulerpa will eat up all the nutrients that the algae in the tank would have needed to grow, thereby preventing most of the algae growth in the main tank.
A Lawnmower Blenny and some Scarlet -legged hermits should keep the rest of it trimmed.
SoS
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.06.20(Fri)14:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since you weren't planning on using the 5 gallon tanks inline with the main tank you could probably just use Rubbermaid 25 gallon containers like I do. I just stick them in a corner in the kitchen.

As far as lighting goes you'll be able to keep almost anything. Some of the Acropora SPS and the Maxima Clams might still be out of reach. With 3X55 on that tank you'll have better light intesity than I do.

What where you planning for the bulbs?

2 10K and 1 Actinic

or 3 50/50's

or 1 10K 1 50/50 and 1 Actinic.

I'd go with the last one I've noticed my corals do the best under a 50/50 split or the 10k and actinic.

If you lived closer I'd give you all the Xenia you want mine is growing like crazy.
SLACkra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.06.20(Fri)18:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK old salt could you give me the basics of plenium agian. I am not completely sure how it works and how to construct it. also sos I guess I could always use the rubbermaid containers just if I made one batch of water it would last me months. that is if I was doing a 3g water change. I also was thinking 50/50 lighting. I courently have that on my saltwater with the mushrooms and they polyps. not sure what the polyps are but there not button. they are the shape of the star polyp polyps but small and they aren't really green. if I can I might add anouther pc bulb somethign smaller than a 55 watt or a 55watt. also do you think it would be cheaper just to buy one metal halide lamp? I mean it would be cheaper one bulb a year intead of six bulbs a year. What do you think. also I will have the over flow to the refugium set so that if the power goes off the refugium won't over flow. the over flow pipe into the tank will be large to make sure that it can handle the amount of water that the pump in the refugium pumps up. also if I do a good plenium and refugium and berlin and skimming could the tank become self stustaining? I have heard of self sustainable saltwaters but are they possible?
2 winged demons
The Old Salt
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.06.20(Fri)22:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not in a tank that small. Tanks have to be huge to house enough of a captive ecosystem to be self-sustaining.

To make a plenum, just use an undergravel filter plate set without the riser tubes. There are other ways to make them, but that's the quickest and easiest. The gravel only needs to be 1-3 inches deep.
SLACkra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.06.21(Sat)1:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

how huge exactly. I am just curious. are we talking 100g? or 300g? or bigger/smaller?
2 winged demons
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: