Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
filtering gravel with water change
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spkspk
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.06.19(Thu)21:32    Post subject: filtering gravel with water change Reply with quote

Historically, I have been syphoning detritus from my gravel during a water change, but I am wondering about the wisdom of this practice. Am I removing copepods and other beneficials when I make such a disturbance in my tank? I have two fish that move around gravel (diamond watchman, blue-spotted jawfish), but that is in a specific area as they make their home. Are there appropriate critters to get that will further break down what is settling into my gravel? Thanks for your help in this matter.
SoS
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.06.20(Fri)4:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of Brittlestars will do it.

Sally Lightfoot crabs will help but they scare the crap out of most people for there aggressiveness. They are just hyperactive and do little damage to anything in the tank.

I've noticed my red-legged hermits sifting the sand.

There's others but those seem to do the best job.
SoS
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.06.20(Fri)4:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of Brittlestars will do it.

Sally Lightfoot crabs will help but they scare the crap out of most people for there aggressiveness. They are just hyperactive and do little damage to anything in the tank.

I've noticed my red-legged hermits sifting the sand.

There's others but those seem to do the best job.
karlas
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.06.25(Wed)18:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

With gravel or crushed coral you have to do the vaccuming thing I don't think theres really any way around it to much. When you vaccum you do remove some of the beneficial stuff.
maby some crabs would help and maby a star of some type. With your bottom dwelling fish though I wouldnt really suggest a brittle they can get quite large and very aggressive towards smaller fish. I've been hearing more and more of these type of stars becoming fish hunters. So as far as I know just keep vaccuming.
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: