Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Are Chinese algae eaters really that bad?
 Forum Index > The Best of the Board  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ric
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.06.18(Wed)4:24    Post subject: Are Chinese algae eaters really that bad? Reply with quote

I am new to this forum and been looking around for some information about the fish I have. I have a 55g tank (36"x18"x18") with 6 platy, 6 zebra danio and 2 CAE.
I notice that a lot of you don't like CAE. My 2 CAE is very hard working, it is 2.5", very good at eating algae (I don't need to clean the glass with them in there) and is very cute too. I like them a lot.
After I read some of the post here, I am not sure what to do and I ask LFS and they accept if I take it back to them and exchange it with other fish.
I really need some advice. Thanks. Embarassed
toyman
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.06.18(Wed)5:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

how long have you had the tank in operation and occupants together? that's a lot of room for those fish. and it seems like you really like your cae's so I would leave 'em. but if you're still stocking the tank then maybe you should reconsider them
Ric
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.06.18(Wed)6:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

I setup the tank for around 6 months already: plants, plenty and danios add-in the first month, CAE add-in 2 month after that.
If I want to add some more fish in future maybe 6 to10 neon tetra is all I want.
Leipo
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.06.18(Wed)6:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

what I always heard is that CAE loose their hunger for algae when they get bigger and that they get aggresive when they are bigger.

I never had a CAE but my LFS didn't want to sell me any because they would get aggresive...
SherryNE
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.06.18(Wed)9:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leipo has hit the nail on the head. They are fine when they are younger, and perhaps you will never have a problem with yours. But many people find, that as they get older they become aggressive and cease to be effective algae eaters.
PharCyde
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.06.18(Wed)23:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chinese Algae Eaters are a confusing fish. For starters their name doesn't really give their aggressive side credit, as well as people immediately thinking the fish is a true algae eater. While they may eat algae (mine did before it committed suicide), they do grow up to start preying on other fish.

There also a number of fish that closely look like Chinese Algae Eaters, the closest fish is probably the Flying Fox (Which is also confused with the Siamese Algae Eater as well).

Keep an eye on your fish, if they start sucking on other fish it may be a good idea to move either them or the other fish out...
Tyger9791
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.06.20(Fri)7:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked I went to my LFS yesterday and I saw a gold CAE that was 9 inches long. I am not lying. the owner of the LFS said that a lady brought it in, because it got way too big for her 75 gal aquarium. she had other fish in there that it didn't get along with either. the owner told me that CAE's usually only have a problem with larger fish, they like to latch onto them and eat off their slime coat. this large CAE that was brought to her was doing just that. she bought the CAE from this same LFS and it was only 3 inches long. and the owner told her it would get much larger and wasnt a good algae eater. but the owner said if you don't want it anymore just bring it back. and thats what she did. I just can't get over how big this CAE was. I've only seen them as lil bitty 4 inch fish. this thing was as big as a koi. amazing.
corylover
Members

PostPosted: 2003.06.22(Sun)1:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leipo wrote:
what I always heard is that CAE loose their hunger for algae when they get bigger and that they get aggresive when they are bigger.

This is very true. Unfortunately I talk from experience. When I started my tank in 1986, I bought 3 cute little CAE. They were very small then, only about 1" long. They were always eating algae from the walls. But this stopped when they grew bigger. And they grow very fast and very big. Also they become very territorial and extremely agressive towards each other. The first one died after +- 5 years, the second one after +- 10 years. The last one died recently +- 17 years old and 20 cm big. I was a little sad when he died, because I had had him for such a long time. but on the other hand I was also relieved because he had become very very agressive towards the other inhabitants of my tank. I would never recommend this fish to anyone. As algae eater they are really worthless Sad as soon as they grow older, and they are not very good company Twisted Evil for their tankmates.
 Forum Index > The Best of the Board All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: