Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
shrimp has a clam stuck on his leg! Does he need Help?
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ping
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.06.18(Wed)1:44    Post subject: shrimp has a clam stuck on his leg! Does he need Help? Reply with quote

My Pepermint shrimp has a tiny clam stuck on his front leg and he can't get him off. Should I try to help? Is this a bad thing for my shrimp? He does NOT seem too happy about this.
Where the heck did this clam come from??
SoS
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.06.18(Wed)4:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think you'll be able to handle a shrimp or get the clam off without ripping his leg off. Has he shed his skin recently? It'll probably come off when that happens. Or he'll just chew his leg off that happens too.
ping
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.06.18(Wed)7:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

The clam released.
I don't want that to happen again, is this a common thing with shrimp and clams? Should I put the clam somewhere? Right now he's on the bottom of the tank waiting to get stepped on again? Do clams move around? Will the shrimp be okay? He didn't lose his leg.
Where did this clam come from? I don't know anything about clams, what do they eat and how do they survive.
I think one of my crabs is eating the clam.
Sorry for all of the questions Embarassed
seawitch0313
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.06.18(Wed)13:50    Post subject: clam Reply with quote

I've never owned clams, but have dissected them in biology classes. I can tell you that they can move around, using their 'foot'. It looks like they're sticking a 'tongue' out of their mouth and they dip it into the substrate and 'pull' themselves around. If you have a starfish it will probably eat the clam. They stick themselves to the shell and 'suck' on them until the pressure created inside causes the clam to open its shell, then the star puts a leg inside and starts digesting the clam.
Don't know that much about shrimp though, if he's okay now I'd think he'd be fine. It sounds like you didn't put the clam in the tank cause your wondering where it came from, perhaps just take him out? Find someone who wants a clam and let them adopt him? That way you wouldnt have to worry about him being a ball and chain to your shrimp again.
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: