Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
How much current does my fish tank really need?
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ping
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.06.18(Wed)0:41    Post subject: How much current does my fish tank really need? Reply with quote

A fish store guy suggested that I add a jet to my 32 gal. tank in order to move the water around and said that the fish actually like having a strong current but it seems a little excessive. My sand blows all over the place and my poor tiny firefish looks like he's caught in a tornado.
I've just been putting it on for a couple minutes at a time a few times a day in order to move any old food or debris, but I'm not sure if this is disruptive or helpful.
So, do fish like a lot of movement in their water?
Thanks.
duffab
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.06.19(Thu)10:51    Post subject: Re: How much current does my fish tank really need? Reply with quote

I have a 4 foot FOWLR tank and I use my Eheim spray bar and a turned down large powerhead to circulate the water.
I normally have them facing the front or the back of the tank and that creates a nice circulation that gets behind my LR as well.
Your fish will let you know if it is to strong or all in one place by the way and where thet swim.
You basically don't want any dead spots in your tank.

Have fun
ping wrote:
A fish store guy suggested that I add a jet to my 32 gal. tank in order to move the water around and said that the fish actually like having a strong current but it seems a little excessive. My sand blows all over the place and my poor tiny firefish looks like he's caught in a tornado.
I've just been putting it on for a couple minutes at a time a few times a day in order to move any old food or debris, but I'm not sure if this is disruptive or helpful.
So, do fish like a lot of movement in their water?
Thanks.
[img][/img]
anonapersona
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.06.19(Thu)13:15    Post subject: direction Reply with quote

A jet, as in a fixture on the outlet of your filter, or an additional powerhead just to add circluation?

You might be able to redirect the flow to bounce against a back wall immediately, that would break the force of the flow.

I added a powerhead to my 29 gallon which has a Fluval 303 canister filter. The fluval uses no spraybar, the outlet is simply a 90 degree just below the surface to flow along the back wall fo the tank. the return is immediately below so the current goes all the way around the tank before reutrning. The powerhead helps circulate that first lower corner that is a bit still otherwise. But, no place is strong enought o disturb anything, you have to watch to see the flow.
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: