Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Sea Creatures...how to take care of them
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BevieBoo
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.06.17(Tue)22:04    Post subject: Sea Creatures...how to take care of them Reply with quote

Hey everyone. Okay, I just got some creatures from the ocean and I need to know how to set up a tank and what not. The creature, I don't know the name of it, grows on the backs of crabs and have a shell that's like a pyramid but round. Then they pop out to eat but they look like little fans. I don't want them to die so I need to set up the tank ASAP. HELP! How can I re-create sea water, what do I put in the water to feed them...? If someone can give me a MAJORLY detailed description to help me out, I'd really appreciate it! Thanks!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
SLACkra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.06.17(Tue)22:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

they are barnicles. the best thing to do would be to take them back to the ocean. if for some reason you don't want to or want to try to keep these little guys take them back to the ocean. a saltwater tank takes about a month and a half to cycle. during the cycle the water parimaters get really bad and the bacteria that eats the ammonia and nitrite starts to multiply. if you wanted barnicles you would have to feed them live or frozen (not sure wich) baby brine shrimp. these animals are difficult to feed and if your new to the saltwater world take them back to the ocean.
2 winged demons
The Old Salt
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.06.18(Wed)0:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, sounds like barnacles alright.
They are filter feeders. While it's possible to get some filter feeder food at the petshop, the fact is the creatures probably wouldn't live long enough for you get a tank set up & running for them. The care of creatures like these requires a bit of planning and preparation, you see. SLACkra is right in that their best hope for survival is to be returned to the sea.

Ah, but you're in Arizona. Since you don't have an ocean handy, I suppose you have two choices.
The first is to give the critters to a petshop.
The second also involves the petshop. Barnacles don't need a whole lot of water to get by, so the petshop can probably give you enough of their premixed water to keep the critters alive in a big bowl until you can set up a tank for them. Don't just dump them in it, either. Mix it slowly with the water you brought back from the beach to prevent shock.
The petshop can then help you with setting up a small tank for your barnacles. Assuming that's all you plan to keep, barnacles can be kept in a small tank with minimal filtration and lighting. You can get everything you need for a successful barnacle tank for less than 60 bucks, so don't let the store sell you a bunch of stuff you don't need. A 10-gallon tank, a filter, some saltwater mix, a hydrometer, some food, maybe a heater...that's about it. You don't even need sand or gravel.
Ordinarily, invertebrates are a lot more demanding and harder to keep than fish. Except for goose-necks, barnacles are actually easier to keep than most fish. The simple setup I described won't keep your barnacles happy and healthy forever, but it'll give you plenty of time to learn the things you'll need to know in order to keep them for many years to come.
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: