Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
future australian project. 15g nano reef. Plan good or bad?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
karlas
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.06.16(Mon)20:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

With it being a reef I wouldnt go with the ufg because think about it you will have to keep pulling that ugf out and disrupting everything. As far as mixing sand you don't want sand with a ugf it will suck up the sand. Also mixing sand and cc the cc will work its way to the top of the sand. . As far as fish I would go with no more than the clowns and thats even cutting it close to the stocking limits. Your lighting will be OK if your going with polyps and mushrooms, those types of corals.
SLACkra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.06.16(Mon)20:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK well then how do I make it so that nothing gets sucked up the intake. as I said before had bad experience with lettuce nudibranch. will I be able to keep anything other than mushrooms and polyps like tree coral and things like xenai colt coral frog spawn yellow polyp. OK I think I will go with a pair of flase percs or true percs
2 winged demons
SLACkra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.06.16(Mon)21:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

any chance of me keeping an anemone. also if theres space I may add anouther 20watt flouresent. I saw this great 20g reef which had 6 20watts looked cool so I think 4-5x20watt will be OK for a reef. but will I be able to have an anemone cause if I won't I might sneek a 55watt pc bulb into my diy hood I plan on building for the 15g
2 winged demons
The Old Salt
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.06.16(Mon)23:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

What IS it with you people and nano-reefs? WHAT? Somebody tell me.
What's the attraction?
A pair of percs in a 15... WHY?
An anemone to boot? With corals?
Do you even know what sweeper tentacles are?
I just don't get it...
Taratron
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2003.06.16(Mon)23:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old Salt, one of the great mysteries of human existence.

Why people keep goldies with tropicals is still beyond me as well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
karlas
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.06.17(Tue)1:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

SLACkra

As far as the powerheads try to put plastic grates over them most pwr heads come with them the ones that don't you can probably go to a lfs and ask them for any spare parts off of old filters and make your own.
I did this with 2 different pwr heads.

Any of the corals should work leathers and polyps should do good with that light also. Old salt does have a point avoid anything with sweeper tenacles in such a small tank isnt a good idea. Do some checking and avoid those corals. Corals like that do need there room to grow and can't be placed near other corals. Corals with sweeper tenacles and anemones can sting most corals to death.

False percs and trues get about the same size. Just someting to think about most suggest 1" per 5 gallons for a beginner where others after they know more take it to 1" per 3 gallons. Maby consider getting one fish instead of 2 on this. Or consider one of the goby shrimp combos I've heard there awesome.

As far as an anemone I say leave them in the ocean they are very difficult to take care for and most do not live very long in the aquarium. There are a few people that are successful but its a (few). Anemones can live hundreds of years in the ocean were the life expectancy in an aqurium is 6 mths for most. Clowns will host just about anything. You don't need one for clowns to live.

Quote:
What IS it with you people and nano-reefs? WHAT? Somebody tell me.
What's the attraction?
A pair of percs in a 15... WHY?
An anemone to boot? With corals?
Do you even know what sweeper tentacles are?
I just don't get it...

There just seems to be a big attraction to nano reefs I know I like them. I myself have been thinking of setting up a seahorse nano. Also I've seen some awesome nanos 12, 15, and a 20 gallon that were unreal. But remember everyone is entitled to there opinion you, me, and everyone else.

I did rethink the 2 clowns thing and yes maby one will be better. The rule is generally 1" per 5 gall that would accomadate 1 perc.

Anenomes I'm not for them in any tank IMO. Most are taken out of the ocean and die. But corals are becoming more and more tank raised which is better than digging them up out of the ocean.
The Old Salt
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.06.17(Tue)8:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seahorse nanos are a different story, since they tend to be better planned and built with the needs of the inhabitants in mind, mostly because the keepers who set them up for seahorses tend to know what they're doing. Besides, seahorses feed better in small tanks.

I guess my real feeling on the subject anemones is that if one has to ask about them, then one isn't ready to keep them.
karlas
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.06.17(Tue)12:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I'm not sure if it will happen but even if it doesn't I have been researching the seahorses I know they are very difficult. I wouldnt even want to begin with one until I was absoutly sure I could handle one so don't worry about that. Its just every time I see that little bow front I can't help but think seahorse tank.
SLACkra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.06.17(Tue)21:30    Post subject: some new ideas and complaints (be: nice curtious and polite) Reply with quote

on secound thought the tank will be 20or 25gs are there any anemones that won't be sonsiderable violent to other coral? I think I might just get a 25g with 3x55wattpcs (165watts) with the prizm ect. also can we just all get along without rudness and with respect ect. its not that I want everything to be sugar coated its just that I want the true facts not the true facts coated with poison.
2 winged demons

Last edited by SLACkra on 2003.06.17(Tue)23:03; edited 1 time in total
Taratron
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2003.06.17(Tue)22:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still side with Old Salt on this one. He has more years' experience with saltwater than I or you, SLACK, have been alive.

Just because someone doesn't sugarcoat the truth does not make it any more difficult to swallow.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: