Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
What type of filter is it???
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY)  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
uLtRa
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.06.19(Thu)5:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heres something you can look at:

http://www.predatoryfish.net/ibforums/index.php?act=ST&f=18&t=34183&s=6d5d183ebfb8c5c82e9a73e916227788
Grungefreek
Members

PostPosted: 2003.06.19(Thu)6:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah thanks, thats very similar to my idea. Ill just have to make a few mods and scale it down a bit adn all should be good.
Irons
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.06.19(Thu)12:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like an interesting idea. Sound like it will be easy to change the water. Only potental problems that I see might be these:

1) Having the UGF high enough to get the drainage under the plate.

2) Enough suction to draw the amount debris you want out.

3) You'll need flow control on the bottom as well. Maybe even a float device in case the upward pump dies.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Grungefreek
Members

PostPosted: 2003.06.20(Fri)21:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep irons, there are many things that still need to be considered when I make this filter. After exams finish ill go to this store that had something similar and see how theirs works and what their thoughts are on it.
dan
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.06.23(Mon)18:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

the problem with the ugf is not only trapping shtuff under the plate but also in the substrate itself. beyond that how are you going to keep the debris from being trapped under the plate? with a high flo rate? I don't see why you need the gravel filter when you are using a wet dry filter is there a reason you really want it.
Grungefreek
Members

PostPosted: 2003.06.25(Wed)6:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well lets see,
Now you say what about trapping the wastes in the gravel, well plenty of wastes are trapped under a normal UGF plate, so why is this design going to be different??? Its not, its gonna work exactly like the normal UGF using water to pull the wastes down and then out of the tank so I don't have to clean under the plate. And also you ask why I would want to do this, because its a lot easier for me. Vacuuming gravel to get all the crap out of it sux majorly, this way I don't have to. Now as for getting the waste out from under the gravel (which I think is explained like 3 times throughout the forum) is sucked from the tank throught the gravel (collecting wastes as it goes) under the plate then out the PVC pipe that is glued into the plate and thus removing any wastes from under there. May be ill have to get a diagram or something going, no one seems to understand. After exams I'm gonna go quiz this fish shop owner who has a simialr thing running and see how he has it all working.
Irons
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.06.25(Wed)13:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey.. I was thinking if you put the piping under the UGF intead of just under the tank. that might help suck the junk out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Grungefreek
Members

PostPosted: 2003.06.25(Wed)16:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the pipe was always going to be under the plate of sorts. I was going to drill a hole in the plate and glue the pipe in there so that the water was sucked out from under the plate, you know the pipe may be 3 mm under the plate. This brings me back to my originl problem of getting the water to move from all ares of the plate to the place where the pipe is so it can all be removed out the pipe. I think maybe that one of those normal UGF plates modified may work. Cause don't they use the air from an air pump to create a small vaccuum under the plate?? thus drawing the wastes under? and I think the one I ussed before had two spots where this vacuum was created so maybe modifying that somehow will work. hmm we'll see
dan
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.06.25(Wed)21:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grungefreek wrote:
Well lets see,
Now you say what about trapping the wastes in the gravel, well plenty of wastes are trapped under a normal UGF plate, so why is this design going to be different??? Its not, its gonna work exactly like the normal UGF using water to pull the wastes down and then out of the tank so I don't have to clean under the plate. And also you ask why I would want to do this, because its a lot easier for me. Vacuuming gravel to get all the crap out of it sux majorly, this way I don't have to. Now as for getting the waste out from under the gravel (which I think is explained like 3 times throughout the forum) is sucked from the tank throught the gravel (collecting wastes as it goes) under the plate then out the PVC pipe that is glued into the plate and thus removing any wastes from under there.

Sounds good, but unless you are using large gravel and only a thin layer of it a lot of debris is still going to get stuck IN THE GRAVEL not under the plate but inbetween the pieces of gravel. When people clean the gravel they are not just trying to get the stuff from under the filter plate.
Grungefreek
Members

PostPosted: 2003.06.25(Wed)23:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Dan, stuff will get stuck in the gravel, but good old physics tells us that it won't be stuck there forever. Having wastes in the gravel for a bit of time won't hurt cause then they have time to partially breakdown and release any sorts of nutrients. Remember this is still all in the planning stage, gravel size will need to be taken into account and well as flow velocitys, luckily there are formulas that deal with these issues that may help. So yes gravel size, pore sizes and gravel thickness will need to be considered, and I acknowledge all these issues. I also understand why people clean gravel , hence why I'm trying to design this thing, so I don't have to do it. I say if a UGF can pull stuff THROUGH the gravel then so can a specially fitted pump. The plate is the issue, not the physics of getting the wastes to pass through the gravel, its gonna need a specially designed plate of sorts. Oh well ill keep looking and hopefully ill find soemthing that will work. These are all just ideas, so planning could go on for years, I just love experimenting.
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY) All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Jump to: