Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Which Protein skimmer is good?
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Submarine_Street
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.06.15(Sun)16:36    Post subject: Which Protein skimmer is good? Reply with quote

Hi, I'm new to saltwater fishes and I have trouble chosing which protein skimmer to buy. I'm planing to buy the seaclone 150, if any one have that skimmer please let me know if it's good or not. If there's some protein skimmers that are easy to maintain and effective please let me know, thanks.
SoS
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.06.15(Sun)17:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

What size tank Smile Question

Reef or Fish only Question

Idea Anytime questions are asked its hard for us to answer without a few details. Thanks Smile
The Old Salt
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.06.15(Sun)18:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stay AWAY from the SeaClone. It's a piece of crap.
Get a Prizm. Be happy.
SLACkra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.06.15(Sun)20:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a prizm and it works fine! probably adds a good amout of oxygen to the water. I recomend it!
2 winged demons
fishdude
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.06.18(Wed)5:24    Post subject: skimmers Reply with quote

Who knows what crappy skimmers lurk on the market? The Old Salt knows...(he might even know what old radio show that came from)
Anyway, yeah the seaclone sucks.(deja vu anyone?)Why does it suck? Well, lets take a look. What makes a skimmer work?(rhetorical question; if you are reading this you really should know.) Let's just say air bubbles collecting D.O.C. to make it easy. Now, how would you maximize the effectivness of that process? By maximizing the air bubbles contact time with the water column, of course. Now, does that thin stream of bubbles(no matter how cool it looks) shooting through a relatively large water column even look like it's taking any time to collect anything? Not really. There might be some benifits to that style, but if you ask me it's a gimick that relies on looks to sell.
So which skimmer to get? I'll assume that your tank is less than 100 gal. and say that the prizm is great. CPR has their BAKPAK which is great if you don't mind cleaning out the little elbows on the Rio that drives it now and again.(Can I get a 'Hell Yeah"?)I'm trying one out right now from Via Aqua that is that is based off the Prizm design. It's OK. It's most unique feature is probably the optional 5w you.V. steralizer and the media chamber where you can put whatever chemical or bio media you want. It is a little harder than most to dial in, though. If you see one called Biomatrix; RUN!! Those had to be the worst nightmare ever, from incomprehensable set-up directions(printed ont the box for crying out loud!) to faulty parts. If one comes back because it doesn't work, OK. When every single one gets returned for the same reason(stops working in a month...due to user inaccesability to the motor/impeller) there's a problem. Anyway, I digress...The prizm sounds like your best bet...

fishdude
Submarine_Street
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.06.19(Thu)15:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 55 gallon tank, I just go it yesterday, I'm planning put live rocks and fish, no corals. Sorry it took me a while to reply, About the the primz skimmer can you tell me what is the model name of it. Thanks
Submarine_Street
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.06.19(Thu)15:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the prizm skimmer a H.O.T and is it blue made by red sea up to 90 gallons? That skimmer looks nice.
fishdude
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.06.23(Mon)23:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

O.K., I've gotta ask. It would seem that if you know it's by Red Sea, and you know it does up to 90 gal., then you saw the box. If you saw the box you should have seen the big PRIZM on the front, which is in much larger and bolder letters than the Red Sea logo or the "for tanks up to 90 gal." If I'm wrong I will stand humbly corrected. Anyway,you get what you pay for one way or another and any skimmer you pay a hundred dollers or less for isn't going to be of the greatest quality. With proper maintenance you might get a few years of service out them, but most people I've talked to haven't.(I'll probably get burned for saying that but oh well.) The Red Sea Berlin (not the new airstone driven one, but the original) has always been a personal favorite of mine but it's kind of pricey. I'm sure at least one person will chime in and say that's too much for a tank of your size, but let me say this...Unless you are planning on keeping a lot of clams you can't have too much skimming going on. Remember, the fish we are trying to keep alive in our tanks are coming out of the most stable environment on earth(depite all our efforts to upset it, which actually illustrates my point.) Much of its stabibility is due its own natural protien skimmer which is far more effective than anything we could produce. We've only been making skimmers for about 50 years or so. Mother nature has been at it quite a bit longer. I have the same argument about lighting, but that's a whole other ball of wax. So I'll get off my soap box now, and leave you to your own conclusions. The Prizm will probably be good for your needs, but don't be surprised if you decide to upgrade farther down the line.

fishdude

p.s. If you're wondering abot the natural skimmer thing, curiosity will lead to the answer.Wink
Submarine_Street
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.06.24(Tue)0:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice.
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: