Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
When is it time to let a fish pass on?
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
love2watch
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.06.18(Wed)11:55    Post subject: when is it time to let my fish pass Reply with quote

Hi, I have a Royal Gramma also called a dotty back if I'm not mistaken. My guy is great, but also display's the same behavior you mentioned, shy, not a great eater and hides a lot. I have a few recommendations for you, first I never let anyone make any changes to my tank at all ever especially a LFS. Second it sounds like it is a water problem to me either low/high salinity or just a poor quality problems. I do 30% changes every week and 70% every month and I have no problems, except 1-2 fish get what I call stress ick which usually goes away in a few days. Make sure when you feed them any frozen food you defrost it and give it a fresh water rinse to remove any blood and undesireables you don't want in your tank. Another thing I highly reccommend is a Diatom filter that is a permanent hookup to your tank. I have the Vortex Diatom I purchased from www.petsmart.com >filtration equip. > other filtration > Vortex. It is only $69.00 and this thing is great will just about eliminate any ick problems which is very common. I run mine for 12 hour intervals 2-3 times weekly or daily whenever I see a potention problem crop up. I firmly believe it is the best preventative care equipment I own. Good luck hope this helps. Laughing
spkspk
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.06.19(Thu)21:27    Post subject: rearranging rocks? Reply with quote

I was surprised that the person you invited into your 'tank' stated that fish like a change in environment like moving rocks, etc. I think that nothing could be further from the truth. Fish that rely on a configuration of rock to find safety and shelter would be stressed until they found a new place to hide and and re-establishing the pecking order of territories. From what I have read, rearranging the configuration of your tank is recommended if you are introducing a new fish where the existing fish are territorial. This puts new and existing fish basically at the same point of finding a new nook and cranny.
ping
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.06.19(Thu)22:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally agree! My first instinct was to put everything back the way I had it because the fish I had were not fighting for territory, they were all fine with each other. I felt like they were just getting comfortable with the tank. This guy said that the fish would enjoy the challenge of exploring the tank and finding new caves, etc., but I think that was why my Cardinal died within hours and the Gramma within weeks. Way too much stress.
Anyway, now it seems like the 2 fish I have are very content with the way I clean my tank. Either that or they are just more hardy.

Not knowing who to trust has been one of my biggest frustrations. Being so new at all of this I really rely on what I read and what people tell me. That's also why this site has been so invaluable. I have found the members that have responded to my questions have been so generous with their time and genuinely care about the creatures in the tanks and ocean.
So thank you so much to all the members!
Robert
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.06.27(Fri)0:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, as I am in the same position as you, I would've just threw a few damsels in as I did. My tank is secure and recently added new fish and they get along pretty good. When you add new fish make sure if they are reef compatible or not and if they are aggressive or just don't get along with another species in your tank. I have learned a lot in a short period of time. I recommend focusing on 1 category of fish. I am experimenting my tank with damsels, although I added some 3 striped damsels which I should'nt have but I didn't know any better. I'm also attached to the fish I have but don't take it too hard on yourself if a fish dies. What my recent project is, is breeding. This should take your mind off your dead fish. May your fish R.I.P. Goodluck with your future plans.
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Jump to: