Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
New tank- cuttlefish
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
uLtRa
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.06.13(Fri)7:08    Post subject: New tank- cuttlefish Reply with quote

Just thought I'd let you know...

At work , two of our cuttlefish had young. We have about 10 babies and I'm going to be keeping two of them! Iv got a 29gal set up for them.

This will be my first saltwater tank ever but I'l be getting my water them from work because we pump in natural sea water.

If you can get your hands on them, I reccomend cuttlefish as a pet. If you go near the tank they try to hypnotize you!They'll ripple their side fins and change the colour of the skin so that the colour kinda 'rolls' around on its body. When they get angry they'll turn a very dark red and two black spots will appear on the tail so it looks like eyes.

We feed them live crabs and live shrimps. When it sees them in its tank it will hover motionless until the prey sees it, then the cuttlefish hypnotizes it so that it doesn't move or resist and shoots out these 2 'arms' in less than a second. Then its beak smashes through the crab shell and eats it alive. Pretty cool lil animals.

Anyone else kept cuttlefish?
nonamethefish
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.06.13(Fri)9:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baby cuttlefish?

Is that something new...or are these guys simple to breed as far as SW goes?
uLtRa
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.06.13(Fri)10:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know, I wasnt working there when it happened, Iv just been raising them since I started along with some baby seahorses.
Psyfalcon
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.06.14(Sat)0:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

How big do they get?
uLtRa
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.06.14(Sat)2:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not entirely sure- our adults are about...hmm 10inches long and the babies are about 3inches, wth some of the 'runts' being about 1 inch. The babies are soo cute!They're just tiny miniture versions of their parents and are really aggressive to anyone that walks by!
The Old Salt
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.06.14(Sat)10:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lifespan of a cuttlefish is usually less than a year. They eat constantly, need very frequent water changes, and grow very quickly.

I'm guessing you already knew all that, but in case you didn't, I just wanted you to know what you were in for. This will be quite an ambitious project for your first marine tank. By the way, they'll outgrow that 29 gallon tank in about two & a half months.

The ink is harmless melanin, but it won't go away by itself or be removed by the filters very well. Try to avoid upsetting them.
SoS
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.06.14(Sat)11:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Old Salt wrote:

The ink is harmless melanin, but it won't go away by itself or be removed by the filters very well. Try to avoid upsetting them.

Will a Diatom Filter Skim it out?
The Old Salt
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.06.14(Sat)14:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe. I've never tried it. I wouldn't bet the farm on it, though.
uLtRa
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.06.15(Sun)15:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our cuttlefish have never 'inked' even when we gravel vac their tank.
I don't have a problem with food-I get a constant supply of crabs and shrimp from work
Yeah I know I need to get a bigger tank for them in the future. I know how to look after coldwater marine tanks, myself and 3 others look after the maintenance of a huge saltwater tank with tope sharks, bass and mackeral schools in it. This will just be MY first saltwater tank.

Less than a year?.....I didn't know that. Well hopefully if all goes to plan, after the cuttles' I'll turn it into a coldwater reef with some coldwater anenomes, gobies, shannies and maybe a small wrasse.
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: