Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Anyone have experience with chitons?
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bloggins
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.06.12(Thu)12:39    Post subject: Anyone have experience with chitons? Reply with quote

becuase there have been admin issues at the pay office at work, I bought 10lbs of Live rock to place in my barren new tank. I discovered a chiton clinging on to the underside of one of the rocks (plain little thing, grey segmented shell), I have not diturbed it.

What I would like to know is what kind of life signs do they give off? From what I read they appear to be sedentary, but in reality are just ludicrously slow. I can see a very thin outline of it's flesh outside the shell covering.

I can't discern any change in location since the LR has rived, but it is still clinging tenaciosuly.

Any guess as to whether it's alive or dead? I can't tell.
SoS
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.06.12(Thu)14:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Chiton wanders around the same rock all the time. He hasn't left it in months. They never move during the day. When you go to sleep check where he is and when the light come back on see if he's moved. that's the only way I know mine is alive.

They will eat Coralline algae, but since there so small they make zero physical damage to it.
Bloggins
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.06.13(Fri)13:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks SoS,

I found that my salinity was 1.23 so I increased it to 1.24, it's a large tank, so it should buffer any kind of shock. It seems that the salinity change is increasing activity in both the chiton, and tiny crustaceans. With the regards to the chiton, I hope the water parameters didn't change too suddenly, I hope it's foraging, and not doing a slo-mo writhe in agony.
SoS
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.06.13(Fri)14:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best time to check your salinity is right after you top off. That's when it should be at its lowest(1.022-23) So when your water evaporates and the level drops in a few days it won't raise too much.
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: