Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Lighting question?
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
seawitch0313
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.06.11(Wed)15:25    Post subject: Lighting question? Reply with quote

Hi, my saltwater tank is still in the planning stages and will be so for quite a while. I've been doing a lot of reading but most of what I've found so far doesn't help me to figure what kind of lighting I need. I have a 20 gallon tall tank I'm planning to use for starters. I'm wondering if the light I have on it now is sufficent for saltwater. I just checked the bulb, its a 15 watt fluorescent bulb. My plan for my tank right now is live rock, dolmite substrate, a pair of clownfish with an anemone hopefully, a gramma, a starfish, and a cleaner shrimp. Most likely the fish will come before the inverts, I'm pretty sure I remember somewhere that anemones need some good light so I probably will have to upgrade when I get that(if I do) but is the light I have good for starters? If not what wattage should I look for?
I'll have to examine the hood itself to see if it can handle a higher wattage as well.
Thanks so much, you guys are a big help!! I'm so glad I found you!!
SoS
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.06.11(Wed)18:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

for a fish only tank that 15 watt light is perfect.

Anenomes need as much light as corals do.

IF you do want anenomes I recommend something like this for lighting.

the JBJ 30 inch
http://www.petsolutions.com/cgi-bin/cgiitmls?m=ThisP&p=1052.310000&l=28

Once you get that wattage you'll inherit all the headaches of a reef tank. micro Algae, red slime, macro algae, heat, and water evaporation.

You will also need Filtered water for an anenome. RO or RO/DI

Also only certain Clownfish host with certain anenomes and some anenomes won't host at all(condy's).

If I find the list I'll tell you which ones are compatible with Percula and Ocellaris.

Boy seawitch you keep me busy Laughing I'm gonna start charging by the hour Laughing
seawitch0313
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.06.12(Thu)7:33    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

But I so appreciate the time you've taken to answer my questions Very Happy Very Happy I don't want to make a 'simple' mistake and kill anything Very Happy Thanks for the light suggestion, I'll have to see if they have that at my not-so-local fishstore.

Thanks again!!
SoS
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.06.12(Thu)15:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your local place can't beat the prices on this link order here.

http://www.drunkenboat.net/ReefEncounter/home.html

FORMOSA DX-SS COMBO 65W 1 6500K DAYLIGHT/ 7100K BLUE 65 WATTS 30" $139.99
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: