Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
300l pond.
 Forum Index > Goldfish, K  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Haddock
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.06.10(Tue)7:45    Post subject: 300l pond. Reply with quote

Mom and I are gonna get 300l pond and we were wondering what place is the best to put it and if we should have net over it. Are you gonna have koi in there? Me: yes. Laughing How many koi can I keep in there (300l)?

Can we have normal goldfishes ? Embarassed Do we need some equipment ?(how do you spell that? Embarassed )
uLtRa
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.06.10(Tue)7:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

300l is not enough room for koi, you'd only be able to keep goldies.

You'd need a pond filter and a pond pump (to pump the water to your filter). Pond filters usually come with a UV light bit now to kill off algae but check that it does before you buy.
Haddock
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.06.10(Tue)8:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can goldfishes handle 5-20 degrees ?

And can't I just have regular water changes ? Confused

Koi fishes don't grow adult very fast ? because I was thinking 2 buy 3-4 koi and sell them before the winter Smile
uLtRa
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.06.10(Tue)9:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if they would survive, you'd have to take them inside in a tank for the winter, lol I wondered when you were going to ask that with you living in iceland !

Hmm maybe if you really wanted the hassle of it, I bought 2 feeder goldfish to cycle my tropical 4 years ago and have still got them because I got attached to them, its not as easy as it sounds.
Mario
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.06.10(Tue)9:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haddock, goldfish can survive temperatures between 5-20 celcius (btw. make sure that everyone knows whether you are talking about celcius or fahrenheit). However, if the temperature drops below 0 celcius your small pond of 300l will very quickly freeze completely, killing your fish.

If you really want to set up a pond, I would get two goldfish and in fall, when it starts getting cold, take them inside. You would need to get at least a 100l tank to keep your goldfish happy during the winter.

Also, I would really not suggest to sell your fish after owning them for the summer. Goldfish can get very old and you will get attached to them, like you would to other pets.

Hope this helps... mario
 Forum Index > Goldfish, K All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: