Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
New to Salt water tank, high ammonia........
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zabo
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.06.08(Sun)22:29    Post subject: New to Salt water tank, high ammonia........ Reply with quote

Bought my tank 10 days ago (29 gal), first stab at a fish only saltwater. Filled it (used de-chlorinated tap water, AmmEx). Have crushed coral base. Ran the filter 4 day's, then added 3 Damsels. that was a week ago. From day 1 the the ammonia has read off the scale. Is this normal. The guy at the local fish store said it was normal for a new tank (otherwise I wouldn't of bought the fish). For the last week I have been using Biozyme to help with the cycling. The fish seem to be doing fine, I relaize now by this time the ammonia levels should start increasing, but like I said my test has shown them high from day one. Is this because of the AmmEx water Conditioner messing with the tests? BTW the pH is right on.

thanks Mark
zabo
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.06.11(Wed)16:13    Post subject: dumb question I guess.... Reply with quote

Iguess this is a stupid question no-one answered it. My amonia levels are starting to come down and my nitrites are starting to increase so I quess things are on track. If I want to add live rock, when should I do it? Also, I would like to start changing the water with RO water as soon as possible (to avoid algee problems later), would it slow the cycling down if I changed it while the tank is cycling?
SoS
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.06.11(Wed)17:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cycling takes a few weeks.

If its cured live rock you can add it anytime.

If you don't plan on keeping the damsels good luck on getting them out once you put the rock in.

If you don't plan on keeping the damsels don't flush'em take them back to the store.

You can switch to RO at anytime. Why didn't you start with RO? Once you put tap water it'll take months to fully get rid of the impurities and heavy metals in tap water.
zabo
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.06.11(Wed)18:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

I plan on keeping one. I didn't have enough info on using RO water, dealer said it would be fine. After reading more on the subjest I regret it, I just don't want to mess up the cycling process.

thanks
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: