Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
my royal gramma won't eat! Please help!
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ping
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.06.08(Sun)13:06    Post subject: my royal gramma won't eat! Please help! Reply with quote

Sad
My favorite fish was so happy and swam all over the whole tank but 2 weeks ago someone cleaned my tank (32 gal. eclypse 3) added 5 gal of his own pretreated water (I was using my filtered water and adding conditioner and Instant Ocean) and in the last week or so my Royal Gramma is now hiding in a barnicle and will not eat.
I've added Melfix to the water for 2 days, because I saw a small white scratch on his head. I can't check his condition because he won't come out.
My tank condition is as follows:
Temp. 77 degrees, 0 nitrates, 0 Nitrites, feeding myasis and frozen brine
all other tank mates fine: 1-shrimp, 1-fire fish, 1 lawnmower blenny, 5 small hermit crabs and 3 bumble bee snails. (3 larger snails died).
Please help ASAP I'm really attached to him and want to do all I can to prevent his death!!
Thank you for your time,
Ping
SoS
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.06.08(Sun)14:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

What most fish stores don't warn about is that Royal Gramma's are not the hardiest fish. A sudden shock to there system like a water change with a differant type of water. Like tap water with conditioner. Could shock the fish a number of ways. pH(using a conditioner like stresscoat or start right will drop your pH), metals, Phosphate, silicate are all lurking in tapwater.

My Royal Gramma did the same thing one day and he never came back out.

what are your readings right now?

pH and salinity? anyone of these could be causing the problem.
karlas
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.06.16(Mon)5:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

You say someone else changed your water. Did they test the salinity before they added it? Maby they got the salinity to hi or to low. Was there anything added they didn't tell you? I would ask them that. I agree with checking the pH but also check the alkalinity that should be 9-12 dkh range. If that drops that has a major effect on pH and inhabitants in the tank. Also how long after the mix did they add it? Right away or did they let it set and circulate for a while? It should be at least a day for this. Its not a good idea to mix the water and use it right away or to add salt directly to the tank since it can burn or injur fish and corals. Try to find out this information.
ping
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.06.18(Wed)0:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

The guy who changed my water said it was from a reef off of Catalina Island and he adds some other "things" to it. It was only 5 gal. but you're right, I didn't check any readings right after he was done. It wasn't until a week later that I started running tests and found the salinity was a little high. Then I did my own 5 gal. water change (I use Instant Ocean and let it sit for a few days before I add it to the tank). I use one of the test kits that has a color match in order to determine the pH, nitrate and nitrites which I find to be a bit of a guessing game. Is there a way to get a specific number from a test? The color grid for my nitrates and nitrites is always -0- but who knows??
karlas
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.06.18(Wed)1:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think most of the test use the color bar method. There might be some that give and exact reading but I'm not sure what ones. I only have one that gives an exact and that is the calcium test, that one is by sea chem. So maby they carry other test with numbers check into that.
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: