Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
I, Flowerhorn...maybe?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fishdude
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.06.08(Sun)2:04    Post subject: I, Flowerhorn...maybe? Reply with quote

I've got a question...Recently in my area I've started seeeing (and actually purchased one) a fish that is being sold as a flowerhorn. I work at one of the LFS's here(San Diego area)and we have them, and so do most of the others.As far as I know, at least a few of us are getting them from the same distributors. I was just reading the Q&A in TFH and the author made a comment that he thought flowerhorns looked like selectivley bred Cichlosoma Trimaculatum, hinting that they might not really be hybrids. Since I'd had one for a couple of weeks at that point, and had no idea what C. Trimac.looked like I looked it up. What I found was a picture that for all practical purposes was my supposed flowerhorn staring back at me! My question now of course, is are we being sold Trimac's as flowerhorns? I realize that without a picture that's a hard question to answer. Or are flowerhorns hybrids with dominant Trimac. characteristics? I see a strong resemblance to the FH's I've seen in the mag's and book's in mine just without all the crazy reds. I was hoping that they'd start to come out as he got older. Any info on either one (other than they're both big and mean) would be greatly appreciated.

thanks-fishdude
SoS
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.06.08(Sun)10:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most people say there's Trimac Blood in Flower Horns. So you'll see a lot of Flower Horns Resembling Trimacs.

How big is your Flower Horn? Flower horn colors change drasticly as they mature.

All Flower horns look differant pattern wise. So it doesn't suprise me that there are some out there that look like Trimacs
anubisscott
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.06.08(Sun)11:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Flowerhorn is a Hybrid which was created about 10yrs ago in Asia. The majority of it's genes come from the Trimac, but also others such as the midas(thus the hump), Green and Red Terrors, and some others to get the many different colors. You will not find too much on it due to the fact that the creators try to keep it to a min. of the information given. They do not have any scientific name due to the fact they are hybrids just as the Parrot and are not a "True"Species". I would go to these sites and they will be abled to give you more info on the forums. www.aquamojo.com www.predatoryfish.net www.aquatiqterrors.com Once again I state that they are hybrids, but sometimes Trimacs and low grade flowerhorns are mixed and sold as the other. Beware of this as the Hybridinization of Midas and Red Devils are also as comon. Just like with the problem of getting a pure Midas or RD thats not a cross in the hobby today, so it has become with the Trimac aswell. Good luck in finding more info, the people on these forums will be more helpful. Cool [/url]
MASSMAN2
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.07.11(Fri)6:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

The local fish store in my area has 7 adult flowerhorns and when I first saw them I told my brother "Someone has crossbred the Trimac with the Red devil". That is exactly what I said to him. So I went home got on the internet and learned that it was exactly what I had thought. Flowerhorns are hybrids. They do look attractive, so I bought a 1 inch one, just to see how the coloration pans out.

In the LFS they have a tank full of baby flowerhorns and a tank full of Trimacs and they do look almost exactly alike. I could tell the difference between the two fish. The flowerhorn has a grayer coloration, where as the Trimac is more a rusty brownish red.

They also have a fish called a "Golden Butterfly" and I told my brother "that is a festae". So I'm starting to realize that this particular fish store is selling common cichlids with new names, just to make a sell. They have the so called Golden Butterfly (female) in the tank with a Flowerhorn (male). So you know what they are about to do? They are going to breed the Golden Butterfly (festae) with the Flowerhorn (Trimac/Red Devil) to create a Golden Flowerhorn? or Flowerhorn Butterfly? I'm sure you get the picture.
SuperDave9x19
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.10(Sun)8:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello.

I am new to the forum, and browsing deep into the Cichlid forums. Dng good reading.

My Local Fish Shop also keeps Flowerhorns and I have found little to no data on them.

Can anyone post me a summarizing link?
Steve Hampton
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.08.10(Sun)11:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperDave9x19 wrote:
hello.

I am new to the forum, and browsing deep into the Cichlid forums. Dng good reading.

My Local Fish Shop also keeps Flowerhorns and I have found little to no data on them.

Can anyone post me a summarizing link?

Hi SuperDave, and welcome to our forums. Here's a few links to the Flowerhorn controversy.

Flowerhorns & Other Hybrids

and

Flowerhorn

and

Flowerfish
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.10(Sun)18:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks man.

One site I read as this reply page was loading makes me think to avoid them

Will read further tho

appreciate the fast linkage.
SuperDave9x19
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.10(Sun)18:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. did my reading.

This fish is exactly what I don't want. I actually try to simulate real life in my tanks and genetic alterations seem like a contradiction to fishkeeping as I learned it 20 years ago.

My apologies to all who feel different. Not trying to raise a ruckus, but geez, there are so many good fish to buy. Flowerhorns seem like a waste and a marketting ploy for bored aquariasts.
Steve Hampton
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.08.10(Sun)19:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperDave9x19 wrote:
OK. did my reading.

This fish is exactly what I don't want. I actually try to simulate real life in my tanks and genetic alterations seem like a contradiction to fishkeeping as I learned it 20 years ago.

My apologies to all who feel different. Not trying to raise a ruckus, but geez, there are so many good fish to buy. Flowerhorns seem like a waste and a marketting ploy for bored aquariasts.

SuperDave you need not make any apologies, you have read the material and made a decision based on facts and personal beliefs. I try to not influence people on this controversial decision but simply to pass along information. I'd love to hear what you end with in your tank though.
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.11(Mon)11:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, they are a curiosity. They don't fit my goals of making a West African Tank (because WA cichlids tend to be in acidic water, like my local water, and they don't dig up plants, because I insist on plants in my aquarium).

Gotta admit, my goals are long term, as I cannot buy what I want locally too easily. I was dang lucky to get Kribs and Jewel Cichlids during a 7 month span.
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: