Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Pond newbie help
 Forum Index > Goldfish, K  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rose
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.06.07(Sat)9:47    Post subject: Pond newbie help Reply with quote

Okay I am totally in the dark about ponds, but my mother just bought one to put in our yard it has a filter and a water fall in it are both really nessacry? Do I need to by any lights or a heater for it? Also, is there any fish besides koi that would do well in a pond any advice would be much appreciated.
Rose[color=green]
[/color]
The Old Salt
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.06.07(Sat)12:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heater & lights...No.

Filter & waterfall...why would you not want them? They're not absolutely necessary, but they sure make life a LOT easier.
SherryNE
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.06.07(Sat)16:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Koi are too big for most ponds. Very messy fish. Goldfish are better, still messy, but not so massive. Koi IME tend to be more sensitive to high temps as well.
Rose
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.06.07(Sat)21:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks but now I have another question what kinds of plants should I add?
So, are goldfish the only choice?
Rose
SherryNE
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.06.07(Sat)23:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it kind of depends on where you're at, the usual temps, ect, ect.

Some people I think have kept white clouds, but most fish do not show up well in ponds, where goldfish and koi are MEANT to be veiwed in this setting.

Your choice of plants depends again on the size of your pond and region you are in, but Anachris, some lilies, water hyacinth are all good possible choices.
Rose
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.06.08(Sun)7:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pond is I think 300 gallons maybe more and I live in Tennessee so the Temerature are pretty moderate I think last summer the hotest it got was around 98 and in the winter the lowest it got was in the 30's but not really the low thirtys.
Rose
SherryNE
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.06.08(Sun)9:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could go with dojo loaches or white clouds as an alternative, unless you are in the upper east area of TN, but goldfish are still your best bet.
ophie
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.06.08(Sun)21:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might consider the smaller shubunkin-- cute calicos that get about 6". These were recommended to me when I was searching for alternatives to the huge comets and koi.

Other plants that do well-- arrow-leaf or arrow-head (I think these are generally sagittaria sp.), myriophyllum (foxtail), bacopa (like the common "moneywort"), which I like because they produce emerse growth that blooms beautiful little flowers, various rushes, something called "aquatic mint" (I have no idea what it is!), dwarf lilies...
 Forum Index > Goldfish, K All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: